Chow's hair underneath mouth is getting moist...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow's hair underneath mouth is getting moist...

Post by trry »

Hello,
I have been posting around the forums quite frequently lately since I want to help out my chow. So right now the hair underneath his chin is getting red and I believe its about to get a raw. I trimmed it but it needs to get more. I am going to get hair thinners tomorrow but anyone else have advice? I was thinking of a dog bid but where would I purchase such a thing.

Sorry if this may not sound coherent I am super worried about this guy.

Thanks!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow's hair underneath mouth is getting moist...

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Trry, search the forum. You might want to get a towel and pat dry your dog's chin, especially after he drinks. If it is getting red, you don't want to rub it, since this will cause additional irritation. My two get water everywhere when they drink.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

You came get non drip water bowls. I don't know anything about them, as lily isn't a messy drinker, but I know some people on this forum use them. Perhaps you could give it a try?
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
yes my Hugo has the same problem on his chest so in Summer (here now) when it's humid and festy, I clip it much shorter and this help him a lot. The first time it got all infected and irritated I went to the vet for some cream to help, now just clipping it back at the start of Summer helps.
Good luck