Winter coats

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Winter coats

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ok, so I'm new to this whole undercoat thing. Growing up I had two single layered coat dogs. Something I've noticed is that in the areas that Ty's undercoat is exposed more, it kind of...clumps? I've been brushing as normal and he never looked this rough in the summer after he got his adult coat in. Now even after a good brush every day his fur takes a look like I haven't touched it in days, and it doesn't take long! Any grooming suggestions? Or is this typical?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Winter coats

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sounds typical to me. How old is he?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

BOTH my boys are like that. I had been doing a groom routine every other day for them (that's every day for me but alternately for them) but I noticed that with how active they are you'd never notice. AND, when they're in mid-sleep and do their superman stretch revealing their underbelly, it's totally clumpy. I'm very interested in what others think because the comb doesn't smooth it, nor does the pin brush. Victory recommended the undercoat rake but I haven't bought one yet.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

From what I've heard and seen, Chows only look really good if you brush them several times a day, every day! Loo and I very quickly decided that there was no need for him to look really good! :D
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Tipps- He's about 10 months. I think he's pretty much done with the puppy fur. o.o;;
Cherrie- I know you're going to have that goofy fluffy yet rough type coat with them for a few months more at least since they're still so young. The in between fur was awkward as they shed the puppy coat. Lately it had been where I didn't have to brush him nearly as much and he still looked good. May very well be winter and I guess Sarahloo has a point. I just miss him looking good a little longer like every two days before I had to brush him. It's definitely not like he gets into much and he's an inside puppy. I dunno. Maybe my furminator rip-off isn't enough?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I gave up a long time ago on trying to make my two look good. I am happy as long as they are not matted. In the evening, I will brush them just to get the leaves and grass out of their coat and check for mats, which will get extra work. We got the real Furminator but rarely use it except in the spring when they are really shedding. Now I have found a real fastidious groomer, who likes to do my hair along with some others. Unfortunately, neither of the chows really like his grooming technique. Malachi does not like him because he will pull at Malachi's ears and tail.
Attachments
groomer.JPG
groomer.JPG (90.85 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

ROFLMAO Oh, that is so funny. I asked miss Indy (my female feline) what she thought of this method, and in return I got the stare of death and watched her walk away, tail in the air so I could see her little buthole. As if to say...well I'm sure you could imagine.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

That is Yoda, who was found by my two chows as a 4 week old kitten. They helped raise him, so he is something else. He thinks he is part chow, and will chase other dogs out of the yard.