Chow pup, Pictures + Questions!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hotbathwot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow pup, Pictures + Questions!

Post by Hotbathwot »

Hi all this is my first post here, I have a 5month old chow called Taffy and we've had him since he was 9weeks :D Lately I keep asking myself a lot of questions I don't know the answer to so I'm hoping you guys could help me out with some of them.
Firstly, here is a picture of the little man:

1) I bought him a brush especially for double coats etc about 2 weeks ago, ever since i've started to use that brush he is losing so much hair! So what I'm wondering is: Is he just changing his coat for winter? Is it just the new brush pulling his old fur out? Is he changing into his adult coat? I'm lucky that he's fine with my grooming him because these past couple of weeks I've been brushing him for around an hour every night, more fur just keeps coming out! I'm just confused as to which of those things it could be to be honest.

I can't wait for him to turn red and recently we have noticed a patch that is growing on his back, its so red and really soft, a lot different to his other fur so will that be his new adult coat growing in? I hope so.
He also has a lot of random black patches on him, on his back and tip of his tail mainly, do you think they will disappear as his coat continually changes colour anyway. We did see his mum, she was black.
Sorry for all the questions, it's just been bugging me not knowing the answers :P I have checked all the forum I love reading all the different stories, but didn't manage to find all the answers so far :D

Thanks for your time!
Auddymay

Re: Chow pup, Pictures + Questions!

Post by Auddymay »

I use a double toothed rake for the undercoat, a pin brush for topcoat/finishing, and a metal comb with swivel teeth for those hard to get/ knotted areas.
bcalm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bcalm »

Hi Auddymay,
Can you tell me more about your "swivel brush with metal teeth"? Folllowing the advice of a groomer, I am using a metal comb for the ear knots and other matted areas - but Georgia hates it. (She doesn't much like the rake either and has tried to hide both of them. What a little monkey!) What part of the brush swivels? Is it effective? Is it gentler on the dog than a comb?

Thanks in advance!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

He is cute!!...How much does he weigh?..looks like alot...LOL....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

At five months he could indeed be getting rid of his puppy coat and growing in his first adult coat, and it will take a while and yep there will be lots of fur. The reds often have a dark under coat, normally sort of steel grey, (blue) and many have black on the tips of their tails.
and Auddymay is right an undercoat rake is essential for grooming, it will get the under coat out faster than anything else. I also have a large pin brush, a slicker brush and a comb for my two.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

OHHHHHHH ... that face!!! That fluffy little face. What a joy he is!!!! Congrats, he's so handsome! Oh, and WELCOME to the forum. I look forward to hearing about your adventures!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Hotbathwot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hotbathwot »

Thanks for the replies everyone :) his red is coming through really quick, I'm excited. Haha. And well, now I'm worried that he could be too fat! We weighed him yesterday and he was 40lbs! 2stone 8. That seems like a lot for a pup, wow.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Then i really must worry...LOL :mrgreen: ...our 4 month old male chow Kodi ...is 34 lbs already....and a month yougner then yours..If he is going the rate he is now which is like 3 lbs a week then at 5 months old he will be 46 lbs or so.. :shock: We hope he is a big CHOW....Keep us updated...and keep the pics coming...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Hotbathwot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hotbathwot »

Oh haha! Okay I just worry about everything. I'm the same as you. I'd love a 100lbs chow, a massive big bear :) well we weighed him by me holding him and then deducting my weight from the total so it wasn't 100% accurate but roughly right I guess. I will add more pics Im constantly taking new ones everyday :D
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Yeah we had him at the vet a week or two ago so im sure he gained weight..he is our little porker..LOL.....at 4 months old he is pretty big i think...for a chow...Like you we want him BIG...and healthy of Course...On a side not our 4 month Airedale which is one day younger then Kodi (the chow)...he weighs 43 lbs already...He should be a 100 lbs when full grown...his Dad is a 100 lbs and his Mom is 80 lbs...Our chow is from A rescue place in NY...we dont know much about his dad his mom is not really big tho...I guess we will see...I have to post Pics of Kodi....i wll soon.
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

My pup is 4 months old and I've noticed his coat changed from being rough to really really soft 2 weeks ago, after his first bath. I havent seen any shedding yet but I brush him every two days and bathe him every two weeks. His skin seems okay with baths but maybe that why I havent seen the shedding?

kitten1426 wrote:Then i really must worry...LOL :mrgreen: ...our 4 month old male chow Kodi ...is 34 lbs already....and a month yougner then yours..If he is going the rate he is now which is like 3 lbs a week then at 5 months old he will be 46 lbs or so.. :shock: We hope he is a big CHOW....Keep us updated...and keep the pics coming...
34lbs!! I was hoping my 4 month old guy was gonna be a big chow but hes only 22lbs :shock:
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

LOL...had him to the vet he is not quite 4 and 1/2 months old he is now 38.7 lbs....and stands about 18 inches or so at the shoulders.... Were hoping he is a big boy....