Mats!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Mats!

Post by chica_2626 »

So I've done some searching on this forum but thought I'd post something more current as products and stuff seem to always be changing. J.D. is constantly, and I mean constantly getting mats behind his ears. I will spend nearly every day working on getting them out as he tolerates it. He gets very frustrated with that part of the grooming even though I am trying to untangle it without tugging on his skin. I bought a flea comb to try and work on the mats and try to separate out the hairs with the fine teeth. Is there any sort of product I can put there to prevent these from constantly tangling? I am afraid to try and cut the mats out when they occur, and I do not want to take him to a groomer and have them end up cutting off a bunch of his beautiful mane. Help!
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Mats!

Post by NanouetJon »

The solution is the De-Matting Rake

Here is a picture link Image

The key to your chow not throwing a hissy fit is: Do not just pull it through. Get the rake under the mat and then your finger unders the rake. Hold the hair under so you are not pulling against the skin. Then rock the rake back and forth and it will cut the mat out without removing all the hair. If your chow is constantly creating them this rake will thin it out after a few times

You may want to check why he is always scratching behind his ears. Ear infection? Wax? Irritated skin around the ears?
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Thank you for the reply! He doesn't seem to scratch all that much but those tangles are always there. I can never seem to get them fully combed out and so they are in a big mess again in no time. It's very frustrating! These seems like a good tool to try though, because I didn't want to end up cutting hair other than the mat. Thank you!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Izzie used to get matts behind her ears too and I used a product called Ice on Ice by Chris Christensen when I was showing her and noticed they never came back after that so I just mist a little on and comb the area regularly. You can buy a trial size online I think.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sirchow, thanks for that tip, I am going to try it.