Nikki needs some help?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Nikki needs some help?

Post by chowpups »

Well as most have read on here Nikki has some health issues and I really don't want to put her through a groomer and bathing her at this point, BUT she really needs some grooming help so Iam trying to do it myself. Ive done some spot type bathing with a wash cloth and soap under her chin, but she really could use some freshening up .. Iam sure the cancer is making the smell worse than normal but if there is a product any of you have tried and got good results with like a dry shampoo or something thats not so exhausting as bathing her in the tub. I don't think she could take that much stress right now. I'd love to hear about . .
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Nikki needs some help?

Post by Cocoa »

I was curious about this as well because Cocoa hates the bath. I did a search on Google and found this recipe:
Ingredients

The ingredients in dry dog shampoo serve two purposes: to soak up excess oil and grease from the dog's coat and to dislodge small bits of dirt and debris. Cornstarch, baby powder, or talc absorb oily residue, and baking soda neutralizes disagreeable odors. Table salt offers a mild abrasive effect when massaged through the dog's fur, dislodging small bits of dirt and dust.

Mixing

Measure 2 cups of cornstarch or baby powder or a combination of both into a large plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Add ½ cup of baking soda and ½ cup of table salt and shake the sealed container until the contents are well blended.
You can substitute unscented talc for the cornstarch or baby powder. In addition, cornmeal is a satisfactory substitute for table salt.

Application

Sprinkle the dry dog shampoo over your dog's coat, taking care not to get the powder into its nose or its eyes. Massage the mixture deep within the dog's fur, using your fingers to rub the salt grains gently against his hide. Leave the dry shampoo on your dog for up to 10 minutes to allow the cornstarch or baby powder to absorb as much oil as possible before brushing your dog thoroughly to remove all of the mixture.

Alternates

While salt assists in scrubbing away dirt from your dog's coat, some dog's have sensitive skin. Use only cornstarch or baby powder if your dog does not enjoy the massaging portion of its dry bath. In addition, do not use dry shampoo on a dog with open wounds.
After thoroughly brushing all the dry shampoo from your dog's coat, you might rub a fabric softener dryer sheet over his fur to reduce static and to impart a clean scent.
I haven't tried it yet but I did find several different sites with basically the same recipe. I think with a chow's sensitive skin I would leave out the salt.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Cocoa, thank you that all makes sense and I agree the salt might be too much for her skin? She just got over a hot spot.
I hope it helps a little with the slight odor she never had an odor before so I am thinking it's partially from the cancer and lo from the hotspot meds.
THANKS AGAIN
Nancy
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Your welcome Nancy.
Let me know how it works out, Cocoa hates the bath so I thought I might try this in between so I can space the baths further apart. The funny thing with her is even though she hates the bath she doesn't mind the blow dryer at all, I think she just hates being wet so much and she knows that the blow dryer will make the wet go away! :lol:
Karen
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Okay I got the all the stuff and mixed it up in a tupperware container and when opening the dust flies so let it settle. (best to do outside if you can). Anyway I used just a little handful and sprinkled over her back and under her chin (the worst area for smell on her). And brushed. Again use only a little to see how much you need. I rubbed it in and brushed her and this is the results. One was taken before and one after. Looks pretty good and smells much better. We'll see how long it lasts. She also did a good shake out side and fluffed herself around too.. hehe
IMG_3705.JPG
IMG_3705.JPG (111.89 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
IMG_3709.JPG
IMG_3709.JPG (120.75 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Wow, that looks really good. Did you use cornstarch or baby powder? I am definitely going to give this a try with Cocoa. By the way Nikki looks so much like Cocoa. I have been really lazy about downloading photos from my camera lately but I will post some soon so you can see the similarities.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Karen
I was very pleased with the outcome. Poor Nikki was just looking pityful and she even acts more like her diva self. LOL
I used mostly cornstarch but wanted the smell of Baby powder so put 1/4 of the mix b.powder.. then I noticed the b.powder had cornstarch in it with aloe too? Anyway I just mixed it till it smelled good. I put a dash of salt in just to give it something to rub and get the dirt lifted. I didn't have cornmeal.
And I forgot the last step with the dryer cloth?? Ooops. But she looks good as is ..I really didn't have to use much on her either I have a whole container left for those stinky days.. LOL
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Here's a photo of Cocoa at 3 1/2 months:
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

and at about 6 months old.

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ah you got the pictures up.. good!
Cocoa does have the same look as Nikki.. Is Cocoa just 6 months? Nikki is 4 yrs but looking older lately with her issues.. but she sends you a big purple kiss for helping her get back to looking like a Diva again..
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

No Cocoa is 10 months now and 62 lbs., that was what I meant about being lazy about downloading - six months was the latest downloaded photos (back in April) :oops: I really have to get the more recent ones off my camera so I can post some more! This is another one from April when she got her first big dog bone!

Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

And thank you for the purple kiss Nikki, right back at you from Cocoa. I'm glad you are looking and smelling better! I think I would be inclined to skip the dryer sheet step too - don't know what kind of chemicals they use in those things.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Well, just thought I'd let you know how she weathered. She went out. In the yard and it started to rain so she came in a little wet and she still smelled clean.. Hubby couldn't get over the difference in look and smell.
We will be taking a long car ride with her and so glad the smell is better (9 hrs in a car with a smelly pupster could be a deal breaker)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

That's great to know, I am definitely going to try it on Cocoa, I'm sure she will appreciate skipping a real bath once in a while, especially in the winter when it takes so long to get her completely dry.