How to groom?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Santaeid
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to groom?

Post by Santaeid »

My chow chow Archimedes is my first dog and I am wondering if I am using the right brush for him. I have this brush that has a shedding side and looks like a rake on the other side. I heard it is all he needs but I want to be sure. Do not recommend me the Furinator because I do not plan on buying one... $50 for a brush is ridiculous.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to groom?

Post by Shane »

What I would normally recommend for grooming a Chow Chow would be a pin brush, slicker brush, greyhound style comb, thinning shears, and shears.

What I generally do in a nut shell. I make sure line brush the dog with the pin brush making sure catching the areas prone to matting. Then I follow with the comb along the wide side line comb checking for and mats all over following with the fine side to do the same. The thinning shears are to shape up here and there. Shears, I use them to remove hair from between pads, shaping feet and removing whiskers (only for showing). The slicker only comes into play when I am dealing with a dog that is blowing coat. I do highly recommend that you use with care because if used incorrectly it can cause damage to your skin. However, before I use any tool on my dog's coat I always mist it with water in a spray bottle before, during and after grooming process.

Hope this helps.

Shane
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

I only use a rake on my boy and am constantly being told what a beauty he is. It gets the shedding undercoat out of there, leaving the outer coat its natural, healthy sheen.

Loha's Dad
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

You think $50 for a brush is ridiculous until you see how well it works. I love love love the furminator. I thought the slicker brush was doing a good job when J.D. was shedding his winter coat and boy was I wrong. I finally had to stop because my arm got tired, this thing would have still been catching more fur. Totally worth the investment and you can find it on Amazon for $20, and it seems really well made and will last. http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Large- ... 721&sr=8-1

Just for reference. This was what I had pulled off of J.D. with just a slicker brush, and was not really pulling anything more off of him when this was done.
Maybe a week later I invested in a furminator and this was the pile I ended up with when finally my arm wore out
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

chica_2626 wrote: Maybe a week later I invested in a furminator and this was the pile I ended up with when finally my arm wore out
My breeder said that my chow would only shed once in its whole life... did she lie to me???
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Yes she did! Chows like other double coated breeds shed twice a year.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

I've never heard of any dog that would only shed once in it's life. I mean their puppy fur is different from their adult fur, but they definitely go through shedding periods! J.D. is already starting his shedding again.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

If you breeder meant once in a lifetime being from age 1 till the end.. then yes. Your breeder should have said twice per season. Your chow will blow their winter coat (Big shedding) and then once again in the fall (smaller shedding) as the new undercoat grows for winter! Your investment in combs and rakes is warranted.

Maddoxx loves when I pull out the combs and we sit and doing grooming time!
babyaslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by babyaslan »

NanouetJon wrote:If you breeder meant once in a lifetime being from age 1 till the end.. then yes. Your breeder should have said twice per season. Your chow will blow their winter coat (Big shedding) and then once again in the fall (smaller shedding) as the new undercoat grows for winter! Your investment in combs and rakes is warranted.

Maddoxx loves when I pull out the combs and we sit and doing grooming time!
Thanks for clarifying, I think thats what she meant I probably misunderstood at the time. Grooming is fun for both of us I think- I'm def going to gear up for the shedding seasons.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I actually have a cheaper version of the furminator that was close to 15 or 20 bucks at Walmart. I thought the price was crazy until I ended up with piles like the pictures above and it was definitely money well spent. I'll typically use that brush once a week or more and use a regular one after. I'll also use the regular one about everyday to every other for quick maintenance. I had a groomer tell me his coat was wonderfully kept :) that's my trick anyways.