chow chow bad groomer by petco

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bobby30
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow chow bad groomer by petco

Post by bobby30 »

hello people . i have a 1 yr old chow chow named sasha. i took her to petco to get her a hair cut (trim) and they made me drop her off for a couple of hours and when i can back she looked like a poodle , they shaved her down passed her first coat in some spots and now 3 months later all her hair has grown back besides her shoulders . the vet said its post clipping allapetra . but he dont know when it will grow back .does any one have this problem , i need help she looks like she has a mohawk ,its kinda funny but i hate it ..is there any thing i can do to make the hair grow faster i have the moister skin the vet gave me but no signs yet ....Question two .. sasha is in heat . is there a time frame i should be getting her fixed .. i really want her to have babies but i can find a male chow that is not fixed i heard she could get cancer. anyone no ..
Attachments
waterhog
waterhog
sasha.jpg (156.98 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Auddymay

Re: chow chow bad groomer by petco

Post by Auddymay »

Get her fixed when her heat is done.

The hair will come in it's own time, there are worse hair/skin problems, trust me, we are suffering them here. Never just drop a Chow unless you know and trust the groomer. My groomer took off the breeches on my Chow-mix once- not severe, but she knew from my response to never put scissor to my animals without permission now. Just love your baby even with her bad haircut.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep. Get her fixed as soon as she's out of heat.

And like AuddyMay said her hair will grow back. Tell a trusted groomer next time, "no clipping"
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
beccachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beccachow »

I always have to warn groomers about the "lion cut." I don't like short hair on the body, a mane, and a ball on the tail!!!! I just tell them to give him a "puppy clip" and instruct them to make all parts of the body the same length. You need to be very specific with chow cuts, I learned that the hard way!!
Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow master »

About getting her fixed, I would advise you to because we had a beautiful black female chow and we never had her fixed so when she was 15 she got cancer in her lady parts and since she was to old for the surgery we had to put her down! :cry:

Ahhhh good old memories :roll:
~chow master
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i agree with the advice on the bad haircut...it will grow back, it just takes time. And you must be very specific when having her groomed. I practically remove all scissors and clippers from the groomer facility when we drop Rory off.
In regards to fixing, she is only a year old per your post. This is not too young to fix, but it is too young if you are considering breeding. For males, best advice is to not stud them until about 2 years, as they are still growing and cant be accurately vet approved prior to that. I am not real familiar with females, so it may be different.
It just doesnt sound like you are convinced one way or another. If you want to have pups, having your dog fixed because you havent found a suitable stud male doesnt seem to be the best option at this point.