groomer destroyed my Chow's tail!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cicreogirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

groomer destroyed my Chow's tail!

Post by cicreogirl »

I took my 10 month old Chow puppy to the groomer to be brushed (and brushed only!). A young girl did the brushing and it took her THREE hours (and she still had not done his belly). When I got him back, I was horrified to discover that she completely removed ALL of the undercoat on his back underneath his tail and that ALL of the hair on the underneath and the sides of his tail is only about an inch long! I cannot tell what in the world the girl THOUGHT she was doing, but now I know why they charged me for THREE hours for her to do it! I cannot tell if she intentionally cut it off (he was NOT matted ANYWHERE) or if she used some kind of stripping tool that broke it off.

He used to have a HUGE, BEAUTIFUL tail (the largest tail I have ever seen on a Chow) and now it is this puny, pathetic looking tail! I have written a complaint letter to the groomer, but his tail was entirely adult hair and now I am worried about whether or not his beautiful full tail will ever grow back. (Obviously the undercoat on his back will.) My brother had his Chow shaved many years ago and her coat was NEVER the same. I will be heartbroken if his beautiful tail is gone forever... Please tell me that it will eventually grow back...!

Lora
bobby30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: groomer destroyed my Chow's tail!

Post by bobby30 »

i took my chow to petco and they ruined my dogs coat . i took her to petco to get her shaved down for the summer and they shaved her under her first coat and runined her fur i dont know if the fur will grow back on her shoulders ...so dont go to petco . i dont know what to do i went to the vet and he said that it might come back , but he dont know ...good luck with your pup
Naianna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Naianna »

Don't worry, it will grow back, it will just take a long time. My 11 year old had a tumor on his tail, they had to shave it to remove the tumor, and it took him about 6 months to get his lovely tail back. Just be patient, and feed him good food, and he should be fine.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

yep, it will grow back., When I got my Darkwind his tail had been stripped, (Linda at WTCR thought puppies had done it) it was almost bald in spots and very short. Within a few months is was a beautiful plume, it was thick, long and absolutely beautiful. If you are really worried about it, a little of Solid Gold's Seameal and Flaxseed oil in his food will boost the omega acids and help out.

I have no idea why groomers love to shave, cut or otherwise remove the hair from the big fluffy dogs, I had a neighbor who had an eskie and the groomer did the same to him, my neighbor said she almost cried.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!