Chow pads

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow pads

Post by user952824 »

I learned something new yesterday when I took my chow for grooming. His groomer told me that his front leg paw pads, the one under his ankle has an excretion that is smelly and that I should wipe his pads every week to eliminate this. Anyone can school me on this? First time I've heard of this.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow pads

Post by Merlin »

Never heard of this in my life.
Are his feet smelly???
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

No, his feet are not smelly and he is not smelly. Upon examing his front paws, they seem fine to me. I will keep a close watch on them. His Vet tech said there is a fold of skin at the pad's site and yeast can easily form there. But that it is not uncommon. Go figure.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Yeast can only form in a dog if they are fed carbohydrates. It has absolutely nothing to do with their toes and has absolutely nothing to do with the physiology of the animal. Dogs were never meant to process carbohydrates so if you feed them bread, pasta, poor quality dog food, yes, they will develop allergies, and yeast illnesses, not only in their feet, but in their ears and instestines.

If you feed your dog a quality dog food, then your dog won't develop candidae.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

I feed my dog nothing but quality food. No breads etc. He eats a lot of protein. And I do not give him grain. His dog foods are all grain free because of allergy. So, the yeast will be history for me. I have to take him for his Rabies shot in two weeks, and at that time, I will address this with the Vet and have the Vet show me exactly what this groomer saw that was smelly.

Good talking to you !