Straighter more wirey hair

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jlw5095
Rank 0
Rank 0

Straighter more wirey hair

Post by jlw5095 »

Hi, I'm just curious about the way my chow chow Sawyers fur is growing in. The hair down his back is more straight and lays down instead of puffing out like the stereotypical chow chow mane. Is this just how his coat is going to grow or is there something that I'm missing in grooming?

Here's a picture, not sure that it really illustrates the idea.
Attachments
1303511845-picsay.jpg
1303511845-picsay.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Straighter more wirey hair

Post by BeckiHutton »

When I groom lily, I always groom her upwards towards her head and this makes her look more puffy. I have read somewhere that this is what you are supposed to do with chows. I think it actually says it somewhere on this site in the articles page.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Regular grooming with the correct tool is important. You will need steel toothed comb with teeth spaced about an eighth of an inch apart. Stand the Chow on a sturdy, non slip table. First give the coat a lite brushing to remove dust, ect. If there are any tangles, be gentle. Whilst holding the coat flat with one hand, gently part the coat by brushing towards the head. Go over the whole Chow, starting from the head end and working systematically towards the tail. Remember to groom the chest and underbody gently. Pay particular attention with your comb behind the ears and under the forelegs, since knots will occur there unless you take care of it. Also use the comb for the short leg hair, remembering to comb the hocks up an upward direction. Check that the ears are clean, wiping if needed gently with a damp wash cloth. Make sure the eyes are wiped dry. The final finish is a brushing if the coat so that it lies in a tail to head direction enhancing it's glamour.

Like other dogs, the Chow will shed twice a year and will also go into heavy shedding after whelping. Naturally, when the dog is shedding , grooming will need to be more frequent. Excerpt from "The Chow Chow". Author Diana Phillips
Thought it was on this site :)
jlw5095
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jlw5095 »

Ok thanks! That's more or less how I groom, but his fur just wants to lay in the opposite direction. Must just be the way his coat grows.

Thanks again for your reply! You do a wonderful job keeping Lily groomed, she is gorgeous.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Aww thank you :) she is a lovely girl. I actually don't do it every day any more, I normally do it every other day now. She doesn't tend to need grooming that often.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I don't think Sawyer's hair is ever going to be poofy like Lily's. Loo has the same kind of hair and looks just as sleek. All we can do is shed a few tears and move on! :D Maybe we have better luck with our next Chow! :D
I don't know if it's true, but I think the lighter the Chow is build, the un-poofier he is! :D Lily's built is heavier, so she is poofier!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Lol. Love the way you put that sarahloo :D
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My girl Tippsy's coat grows like Sawyer's. I actually gave up on trying to make her look poofy a few years ago. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
jlw5095
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jlw5095 »

Thanks for all the replies! You may be on to something with your hypothesis about build and coat. Sawyer follows the trend, weighing only 55lbs at 14 months old. He's a handsome boy as is though, his style of coat is growing on me anyways! (not literally) :D
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

jlw5095 wrote:He's a handsome boy as is though, his style of coat is growing on me anyways! (not literally) :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki's is the same with the hair on the back going towards her tail and the mane looks more puffy.. And I've always brushed her from the tail forward and it just lies back down .. Shes 56 lbs with just alittle pouf.. rest is all muscle.. LOL
cicreogirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cicreogirl »

That is actually VERY typical of adult Chow Chow coats. The adult coat on the back often contains a higher percentage of the "guard" hairs... longer, straighter, and shinier than the hair elsewhere... and brushing it up towards the head is usually pretty futile.

Lora
Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow master »

I also had a chow that had awkward weird fur. It was a black female chow her fur was kinda thin and wirey and straight as your chowling is. I don't think it is anything to do with the way you are grooming but its just the way it grows.

I hope I helped!
~chow master