fish oil for coat?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

fish oil for coat?

Post by belle »

I went into petplanet last night to ask about what to give Yogi for his coat, and she advise giving him fish oil. Does anybody know how much to give and how or a particular brand? any alternative to fish oil? I heard egg is good too. Can I give him canned sardines or canned salmon?
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: fish oil for coat?

Post by chowhuskylass »

hi we give ours salmon oil, dosage goes off weight usually so cannot tell you what your dog will need but it will be on the bottle, i know some people give their dogs one a day cod liver oil capsules with no problems at all. there are many brands on the market search ebay and google this will will give you an idea whats on the market, we are in the uk so if i list our products they may not be available to you, if your across the pond, and then you can make a personal choice for your dog.

As a treat ours get canned salmon, tuna or pilchards but i prefer my fish canned in water (not brine or oil) as sometimes oily fish canned in oil can give my dogs loose poop, not saying thats the case for every dog! but it is in mine.
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

Hi chowhuskylass,

Thanks for the response. I actually started giving him salmon oil this weekend....got it from costco, it's a webber brand. But I was in petsmart yesterday and I was told that I shouldn't give him any right now because he is getting that from his puppy food (Royal Canin), I could start giving it to him when it's time to switch to adult food. Yogi is 5 months old right now, it shouldn't hurt if I give him a little bit of tuna or salmon.
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

Hello Belle

A good product marketed in Canada by:
http://www.zanimo.ca/Home.aspx?lg=A
This company has several products recommended for skin and fur of dogs ...
will see their site ...
maybe you will like ...
a +
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

re bonjour "Belle
I personally tried their products and I liked the result
we find that product for sale in pet stores in Quebec.
You can buy the phone directly to the company ...
a +
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Hi Belle

Fish oil is great, but like all products there are varying qualities of fish oil.

Wild salmon is good, 3-fish oil, or krill oil all excellent.

Better still, you can simply give your chow a few sardines, or mackerel, or salmon every week. Nothing beats Mother Nature. I agree with what the person in the store told you. Natural food sources are always better , certainly safer than supplements and your puppy is too young to require any supplements.

It helps to start with basics though. If you are feeding a quality food, you shouldn't need any supplements.

If you are not currently feeding a premium food take the money you'd spend on oil and add it to the cost of your food to "up" the quality of food. That should help right there, especially if you feel his coat isn't where it should be, and if it isn't, it's a good indication that you require better quality foods
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to follow the advise of the saleslady at petsmart and don't give him any until he switches to adult food. I don't see any problem with his food (Royal Canin), it's what the breeder had recommended and also by the saleslady, once in a while i'll give him canned salmon or tuna for a treat.....his coat is healthy I think...I just thought it could be puffier? maybe it has something to do with the brush :?
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

Hello Belle
Your chow is still a baby or young fur today is that of a young, it is composed mostly of wool, not hair. After the winter or 1 year to chow you will lose all its wool and you will see grow up through the hair.
He will make his first collar and along his spine.
It looks like a buffalo who is losing his fur ... it is scary sometimes ... :)
Do not worry give him good food is very good .. and wait for brushing his fur regrowth.
a +
Nb at the chow fur is almost a phoenix
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

.I just thought it could be puffier
Depending on where you live, he may not have pushed in his undercoat yet ( and that's what makes them look 'puffier')
The adult chow coat is supposed to be harsh , not soft, but at 5 months old, he's still got a puppy coat and coats can go through a variety of stages, especially immediately after innoculations too.

It's kinda difficult to say without seeing a picture to tell you the truth.
Show us your puppy maybe!
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!