NELLYS NAIL DELEMA

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

NELLYS NAIL DELEMA

Post by valerierichard27 »

Nwelly is now 2 yrs old, and i have tried everyting to cut her nails,(cookies, toys etc)The vet managed to do the back paws, but when i comes to the front ones, nelly totally refuses. She got so agressive that they put a muzzle on her and she managed to take it off. ive been to groomers and nothing works. I was wondering if anyone had that prbleme and if they have tricks, Nellys nails are too long.

Thanks
Zhuyos mom

Re: NELLYS NAIL DELEMA

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Did she get hurt when her nails were trimmed at anytime? Their crazy chow memories make them so "high maintenance" sometimes. Or does she just not like anyone touching her front paws? I'm lucky that my chow/s are/were okay with getting their nails trimmed. Sometimes their thinking was "not right now", but ultimately it gets done. Finally after 2 years of it being dormant, I am able to use that PediPaws contraption. They didn't like the sound. But I use it on the dew claws and was successful.

The only thought I could share with you is if she is okay with having someone touch her front paws, bring her to a groomer to double check they do need trimming and if the trimming needs to be something simple and short for maintenance or much deeper. Sometimes as they age, the nails grow out longer and the quick grows with it but the actual nail that needs to be trimmed isn't so much. If that is the case, possibly a daily walk on concrete might help some. If it is much more, then you may have to wait till she needs her teeth cleaned at the vets.

If she is touchy with her front paws, even with you, you could try doing reward based paw training.

Good luck!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well actually NELLY is a rescued dog, When i fist got her, she was 1yr old, and she was sooo badly matted that her skin was rotting, she had a big infection, the vet didnt think she would make it and she did. I myself cant touch her front paws, i can pet them but not hold them in my hands. And the probleme where i live is that there is only one groomer who accepts chow chows and thats the one who i went to see. The only other place where they accept chow chows is 2 hours from my place, but mabey i wont have a choice to go, because her nails are so long that they crack
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Unfortunatly we live in the woods, and the road is not the best place to walk NELLY since its a high speen road, but thier is a paved bycicle path near by, so ill ask if we are allowed to walk dogs on it, how long will it take for her nails to file down a bit ?
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

just wanted to say that my 2 have their walks on sidewalks and it keeps their nails trimmed "naturally"....
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well i have GOOD news !!! I went to a new groomer, and she had no probleme cutting Nellys nails !!! 10 mins and it was done !! She didnt even put a muzzle on her, but she said that Nelly was very scared but that she could tell that she wouldnt bite her :D Im soooo happy and she only charged me 5$ WOW