chow-lab mix

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jhuber
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow-lab mix

Post by jhuber »

Sandi's half chow, half lab, 7 yrs old, we're her 3d home, love her. Her coat is modified chow, shedding buckets. When combed, which she seems to like, some hairs have tiny specks at the root ends. I don't want to argue with an 80-lb. animal, do want to care for her. One groomer won't take chows. Will she be ok if I just do the best I can with home-brushing? She's really protective of her nails which aren't too bad yet, but we don't want to have them vet-trimmed because our one dog was over-tranquilized. (Sandi gets along well with our other dog, and we would take both of them and, hopefully, stay with her if we could, if we really need to get her professionally groomed.

Above all, poor dog has gone from home to shelter to another home, back to shelter and finally to us, bonded to me. She's vocal, excitable, well-trained but I don't know if that included groomers. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Sinniebunnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chow-lab mix

Post by Sinniebunnie »

use a large wire brush comb for the hair and as for nails you might have to train her using treats when you touch/ holding her feet.
jhuber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chow-lab mix

Post by jhuber »

Wow. Thankx SO much; I never thought of treats. Have a good day. Love, J and Sandi