Greasy patch on Coat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

steveg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Greasy patch on Coat

Post by steveg »

Hi, I have a Chow, Staff cross and over the last month or so she has developed a greasy patch on her back. There is no sign of flaking and it doesn't seem to bother her. She is groomed daily but it won't clear. Can anyone advise please?
Zhuyos mom

Re: Greasy patch on Coat

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Grooming? As in brushing daily or actually bathing her daily? Frequent baths are not advised. There are several threads on the site as to why it is not good to bathe a chow too frequently. Please do a search on the site to locate them.

You might try a different shampoo on the area next time you give her a bath. Just make sure to rinse it off well and try a vinegar and water rinse (2 T of distilled vinegar in a gallon of water) before you dry her off.

For the meantime, you can soak a wash cloth with the vinegar rinse and wipe the greasy patch with it. See if the accumulated oils come off.

The greasy patch appearing might be caused by a couple of things like aging, the wrong type of shampoo for her skin type and her food. Give the above a try.
steveg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by steveg »

This has been resolved. We changed her food, then stopped giving her treats until we found that it was being caused by Denta-Sticks. Sounds odd that something that is supposed to her good is actually doing her harm.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

we had a similar experience and it was food related i put all mine on a hypo allergenic diet as i have more than one food sensitive dog, those denta stix are full of sugar which is funny really as there supposed to be teeth friendly lol so i know what you mean!