bald patches

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

maggiechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

bald patches

Post by maggiechow »

my chow chow is 11 months old now and for the last few months she's been chewing her fur more and more recently. i spoke to her breeder who told me that she needs to be on a lower protein complete food which should be mixed with rice and vegetables. she's now on the best low protein dog food i could find it has no cereals no additives and only uses turkey. she's been chewing a lot less and ive been told that it will take a while for the irritation to go completely. is this correct? her fur is growing back but its patchy at the moment,is this a common problem ? and as long as the chewing is solved how long roughly will it take for the fur to grow back as its already started. please help im at my witts end, people walk past and assume shes being maltreated, she's not she's walked alot and once a week she's taken on a hike, so i know its not boredom. please advise.

steve and maggie
[img]100_0192/img]
maggiechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: bald patches

Post by maggiechow »

here's maggie before her chewing
[img]100_0192/img]
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Sometimes they have allergies. Have you had an allergy test done? Also, is something wrong on her back that may be hurting her? I'd have the vet do a complete checkup. She sure is a beauty.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Eparisi679
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eparisi679 »

Your chow is so beautiful! I know this isn't answering your question, but I wanted to know if you dyed her that awesome shade, or if it's natural
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

I don't have any advice so I apologize but I just had to say Maggie is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
bobby30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bobby30 »

sometimes its normal , the fur will grow back i have the same chow chow .all black with a cherry tint around her head .the fur takes a while to grow back one she chew down to her first coat.chows have three coats of fur the first coat is what has the hair folicals .if she got into that coat then its gonna take a while .. i took my to the groomers and they shaved her pass that first coat . and now my chow has no fur on her shoulders ..its call post clipping allapetra ....you have to go to the vet and get a skin moist cream for dogs ...good luck
tylerjones553
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tylerjones553 »

well it takes 2 to 3 month to get all the hair back if the cause of losing hair is gone have you check for any fleas or ticks at the place were she's been chewing
Buy discount dog products of better and healthy quality.
Herrybraun
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Herrybraun »

I advise you to take animal doctor or a veterinary practitioner services for such hair problems for your Chow.