Growing out a shaved Chow

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

phoenixrizing13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Growing out a shaved Chow

Post by phoenixrizing13 »

About 6 weeks ago I adopted a chow from the local SPCA. Due to a horrendous case of ringworm that my vet thinks he got from the shelter as well as flea protection that didn't work, he had to be shaved down. My poor boy was a mess! Thankfully he's now on good flea control and the ringworm has cleared up.

When she shaved him, the groomer left about a half inch or so of hair to protect his skin and to help ensure that his double coat would hopefully all grow back. What can I do to help encourage his coat to grow in healthy? I feed Nanook Orijen adult food and give him fish oil on daily basis.
phoenixrizing13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Growing out a shaved Chow

Post by phoenixrizing13 »

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

He's a great dog and I consider myself blessed to have him in my life!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Both of our chows were shaved down from the shelter (all the way to the skin so badly that they were nicked all over). We just had them on good food and gave them fish oil. We used a shampoo with fatty omegas too until it came in much thicker (every 2-3 months).
suebehere
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suebehere »

HELP! No groomer will touch my chows in this area. Sedation isn't an option. My male won't let me brush his butt and well, you all know what happens if that goes unattended. Anyway, vet put him to sleep and clipped him with a #10. I asked them NOT to shave too close down but they did anyways right to the skin! Now he is miserable. His skin is red and he is biting at it. He walks around barking and irritated. I give him benedrly and rub aloe on him. He's most comfortable indoors at this time but I hate to keep him in all the time. Any advise as to keeping him comfortable till it grows back??
VIOLET315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VIOLET315 »

my baby 15 yrs old is shaved every year because of the heat. she never haas a problem i think it may be who does the shaving. i've used a groomer they knicked her she will never go there again. now she is shaved by her vet who is very loving and does a great job
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

We had a chow who was shaved due to skin problems which disappeared thereafter. Her coat would come back in beautifully, it just takes a bit of time.

to the poster whose vet shaved too close and whose chow is now nipping at his hind end because of it - I'd take the dog back to the vet and insist on medical cream since it was the vet who shaved too close!
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

Hi phoenixrizing13,

We also adopted/rescue our chow chow whom was neglected and had a lot of skin conditions. He was left outside in the rain and cold for years... when we took him his entire coat was matted right to the skin! After a few days of cutting and brushing and tubs of black dirty water... we decided on shaving him right to the skin... his coat would come off like a piece of carpet all stuck together in large sections .... His skin was so raw and infected... We immediately took him to the vet and they advised us to put the same antibiotic that we got for his ear onto his skin, Canoral is what it's called... very oily stuff... and it cleared up his hotspots right away... In addition to the antibiotics we would also bath him with oatmeal conditioner to help rejuvenate his skin... We completely changed his diet to all natural lamb and rice ... And fed him fish oil as well... Due to the infection of the ears, skin, and sensitive stomach... the food played a huge role in getting him healthy again... it eliminated issues like to much yeast and by products in his diet and added good stuff like omega -3 to help with his skin and coat.

We did everything that you seem to have covered and now Tyson has a nice full coat with no mats... and is 100% more playful.. his behaviour and disposition has changed drastically!

I'm confident your chow's coat will grow back beautiful and they are going to LOVE you for taking such good care of them too...they’re very smart dogs you know... ;)
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003