Grooming

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zsa2x
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grooming

Post by Zsa2x »

Hello there,

I was just wondering if anyone ran into this problem before... I've been trying to brush / comb her for the past few days and she doesn't let me at all! Everytime the brush is near her she would ran away from me so it's almost impossible for me to brush her. Any tips or idea on how to groom her? She is still a puppy btw, only 2 1/2 months old. I've never groom her before my self before but been trying and it was always unsuccessful.

Also is it normal for them to bite their own tail?? Last night she took a good chunk of her fur from her tail! :?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Grooming

Post by chowpups »

Since Nikki was a pup we always put her on a table to groom her (its a sturdy long fold up one with a rubber pad down on it to keep her from slipping). And just lately I've started brushing her on the floor and she does seem to be more difficult to do it that way.. shes good but she gets distracted easily and walks away or lays down . When shes on the table she just stands there and doesn't move. I think she knows not to move on the table. But the floor is too easy to walk away from me.
Nikki will bite her tail once in a while but not pulling clumps of fur out for any length of time. Just once in a while like she gets an itch..
dizzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dizzy »

with mine i dont give them an option i hold them till im done if u let her run away once she ll think its the norm and probally think its a game i just hold them by there collar and work from head to tail
anna kienel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anna kienel »

your pup is still young. every time i brush my chow he gets a reward when he was only 8 weeks old and am always consistent with it. He's now 10 mos old and he loves being brushed and would even sleep while brushing him. so, just keep on brushing him until he get used to it.