Losing clumps of fur from same spot on both legs

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Losing clumps of fur from same spot on both legs

Post by GoHokiesGo »

This seems strange to me, but Honey is losing clumps of fur from the same small spot on both of her rear legs.

Tonight, I noticed a small tuft of fur on one of her back legs, so I pulled the little spot. Then I noticed more and more fur was coming out from the spot. I grabbed a nearby brush and pulled out several handfuls of hair until nearly all of it was gone. Then I brush the other leg, and the same exact spot had the same thing happening. Basically the "ridge" at the top of her thighs/back legs it losing fur. There aren't any other unusual spots on the rest of her coat, so it didn't really seem to make sense to me.

I've been trying to think of anything unusual that's changed over the past few weeks. It's gotten cold and somewhat dry due to the winter weather, we've also had an unusual several feet of snow here in the VA/DC area. I also switched her food from Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken to Solid Gold Wolf King, but she's seemed to like the food and actually be a little more attentive and lively. Could this be a food allergy? I assumed she'd be losing fur in more locations if it was.

Any ideas?? Thanks!
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
Zhuyos mom

Re: Losing clumps of fur from same spot on both legs

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Maybe her undercoat in those areas just needs to turn over.
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GoHokiesGo »

Hopefully that's all it is. I called our Vet and she said to wait it out a few more days to see if things change, it irritates her, etc...

I read around on a few other forums, and a lot of people were bringing up hair loss as signs of a thyroid problem. Honey matches a lot of the symptoms for that, and it sounds like treatment is easy and inexpensive (medicine).

I'm also wondering if it's some kind of a reaction to the salt and chemicals that they use on the roads that isn't agreeing with her. I'll keep the post updated!
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GoHokiesGo »

I'm going to follow-up on my thoughts and ask a naive question - how much hair does a chow shed when they blow their winter coat? Is it the entire undercoat first, then the new fur grows in after the old is entirely shed?

We only got Honey this past August and she had a shaved coat at the time, so we've never experienced having her "blow her coat". I read around a little and saw that they blow their cold weather coat in the late winter, and we're finally beginning to get warmer weather after all our snow here.

Do they shed nearly all of the undercoat and then grow in a new undercoat, or should their already be a full undercoat there when they shed the old coat? I noticed a few tufts of fur on her torso now as well, and was beginning to wonder if maybe it's just the typical new coat coming in and we just had never experienced it before; the hair seems to be shedding from the back towards the mane, which is supposedly how they shed their winter coat correct?
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I have noticed Nikki is shedding alot of clumps, vacuuming has picked up greatly.. we live in PA and lots of snow too and more tonight. Anyway it might be her coat but keep an eye on her weight too.
Sinniebunnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sinniebunnie »

Is it the outer part of the dogs legs? If yes its normal. My dog has it all the time and i am not sure why. I just go there and pull out the clumps and go on my way.
Halcy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Halcy »

I'm a new chow chow mix owner and took my Wes to the vet yesterday because I was afraid he had a skin condition (same issue - big clumps on the outside of the legs... it was disconcerting). She said it was normal and to get a stripping comb and try to get all the winter undercoat out or to sit and pluck him out (because my whole house is now covered in Westley and I have to vacuum sometimes twice a day to keep up). It's scarey but I think it's probably fine even if it looks weird.