Weepy eye cleaning

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Weepy eye cleaning

Post by kingalls »

Nahkohe eyes get 'weepy'. Most of you probably know what I'm referring to - it isn't entropian (confirmed by his vet) - I have drops that I give him to help with the weeping but it won't "cure" it. Because Nahkohe is a cream, the weeping leaves a very noticible (sp?) brownish stain - mostly on the right eye side. Because it's so close to his eye, I'm weary of using anything other than a wet water towel to try and clean it. It doesn't do a very good job. Does anyone have a suggestion for a safe solution to clean this stain on his fur so close to the eye?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Zhuyos mom

Re: Weepy eye cleaning

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I use sterile isotonic buffered eye wash on Miss PB. I buy it at CVS or Walgreens in the eye section. It's a boric acid solution for human eyes. I also have an Herbal Eye Wash made by Halo. I bought it at PetCo. It's a bit pricey. But I got it on sale and might be able to get you a box on sale price if you want (regular price $29, sale price is $5.00).
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Hi Karen, I feel your pain. Millie is just the same & it looks so ugly against that cream fur. I've has a lot of sucess with the top two products on this page http://k9rawdiet.com/Ear-and-Eye-Cleaners-c-27.html (Mindy's website) I use the pads mostly. Hope that helps 8)
Thank you Elodie!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Hi Karen, I feel your pain. Millie is just the same & it looks so ugly against that cream fur. I've has a lot of sucess with the top two products on this page http://k9rawdiet.com/Ear-and-Eye-Cleaners-c-27.html (Mindy's website) I use the pads mostly. Hope that helps 8)
Thank you Elodie!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

i use a product called show eyes, it works really good, cleans up the stains and the bacteria that can grow there. It also cleans up saliva stains on their chins. It's made by Doctors Foster&Smith. Works really well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

I use a sort of baby eye wipe. Holly is very good, she closes her eye when I do it and I just gently wipe down and away from the eye. Been doing it for over 6 years and no problems, plus very clean and easy.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

yes for the baby wipes, unscented.I use them everyday