To cut or not to cut, and Groomer Search

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LongIslandChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

To cut or not to cut, and Groomer Search

Post by LongIslandChow »

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice. I have only had my chow-Cheetah, since last March. We have had her groomed twice by professionals and since then with my husband and I. She did not get along, nor did she like being groomed by a stranger. We adopted her from a shelter and she is still skeptical of new people (we have been working with her a lot on this). Since, her last groomer did not take the time to get to know her and was kind of angry around her, we decided to groom her ourselves. She trusts us and lets us trim her paw fur, brush her every night, wash her in the tub and blow dry her. My question is, does anyone trim or shape their own dog's fur or do you take them to a groomer for that? If you trim them yourself, what is the best way? If not, we would love some suggestions of dog groomers, who are friendly, will take the time to get to know our dog, and is used to grooming a chow. We live on Long Island, in Suffolk County and have been looking for one for awhile. We found one gentleman who would come to our house but we live in a condo and have no outside electrical hook up for him. Please help!

Long Island Chow
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: To cut or not to cut, and Groomer Search

Post by Sirchow »

Appart from trimming a little foot hair when showing chows are not normally trimmed so I am wondering what sort of trim you have in mind? Shaving and short hair cut leave your chow vulnerable to sun burn in the summer as a chows coat is designed to proect it form the sun and the cold it may also change the texture of the coat.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
LongIslandChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongIslandChow »

I think I miss spoke in my last post. I was actually look to shape her fur. Her fur is really uneven and looks as if it she has some sort of split ends She looks like she is shedding but its just uneven hair. So really I want to even her out and shape it. I would never cut her fur so short! Any suggestions?
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I have three chows and I can tell you with rescue chows, their coats are not always the best right away. It takes a while for their fur to grow in correctly. If you are noticing what you call split ends, it could be your chows coat is dry. I am not sure what you are feeding her but you may want to add some fish oil to her diet. I don't usually trim my chows unless they have gotten a mat or if they get poop on them. There are times when they shed and look what I call deflated but that passes quickly. If the unevenness is really bothering you I would say you could even that out but I wouldn't trim too much.
LongIslandChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongIslandChow »

Thank you so much for your help. I might just use the buzzer to even it out just a bit. I guess the feeling is to not go with a groomer at all, if you can wash your chow and groom them yourself. I try to use a spray conditioner on her once in a while to control it. So trimming my chow's fur is not going to harm it unless its cut really short? I don't think I would ever trim her short, I love her fur! I just like my dog to look groomed and that was my reasoning to look for a groomer to even her out. Thanks again! I did post a picture of her in the picture area if you would like to see her! I have not been able to figure out how to post a picture in my profile or signature yet. Thanks again all!
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

i do bath, blast, blow dry and trim my chow and when the girls coats grow from being shaved (not by me) they will be trimmed to as they are not for show and i do like the manicured poofy look but in saying that i am not scissor happy but i do tidy up the bottom and chest but keep the ruff i just shape it, so its even and stands up and out without a trim efe's ruff looks long and shaggy lol its just like a chow topiary, too much trimming and you will ruin the look.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

First, stop bathing her so much, especially as she's a rescue it can take up to two years to get her fur in good condition and bathing too often will make it take longer. Instead try brusing more often, changing her diet to make sure she is getting all the proper nutrients she needs for her coat. You should only bath her if her skin has excess oils on it, the oil is thick and waxy, and needs a special shampoo to remove, or a lot of brushing. Firesong had it when I got her, I bathed her a couple of times with the special shampoo and then I just used brusing, now it's all gone and her coat is lovely, soft shiny, it doesn't stand off, but she's not the kind of chow for it to do that. Her's is more of the flater kind, like the kind they used to make clothes from. (yes they made clothes from them, all around dogs.)
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
SmartRey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SmartRey »

I don't know if all dogs have the same feeling regarding on that matter but i doubt. I have a pet dog a Siberian Husky and I'm the one who groom and make it beautiful. Yes it's true that there are some dog who are easily get angry when there are someone touches him. Mostly likely in your case it is better for you to groom him in your own. at first it is really hard but as you go on it will be easy for you and it is the time when you get bonding to him. It is very important that you are really closer to each other so you can groom him. but if the case is about illnesses better consult your veterinarian.
crave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crave »

hi everyone...

so today, i was out for a walk with my chow, i've had him for 2 years...

i had a lady pull over and stopped her car in tha middle of tha road and started tooting tha horn at me... she hurled abuse claiming i was being cruel to my dog and it needed to have it's coat shaved/cut...

i'm reading tha information tha breeder has given me and it states not to shave tha coat... reading on here and tha consensus seems to be that it doesn't need to be a shaved...

i can't get over some people... seriously, yah like becos i want nothing but to be cruel to my pet... what tha h*ll... #(%T*(@)(_@(*&%*&(*)%@)(*