Coat question

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Coat question

Post by Sirchow »

I expect this question should have gone somewhere else but there are not many folk coming here at the moment and I would like an answere sooner rather than later. :?

Bramble lost her coat at the end of the summer with everyone elses chows and grew a somewhat fluffier bigger coat for winter and then about ten days ago (just before the snow came) I noticed furballs flying round the kitchen and am back to scraping large quantities of soft undercoat from the carpet. Is this normal? She is 15 months old. I am a little worried what is going to happen to her coat as she is entered for Crufts and I dont want a bald chow by March if I can help it. :shock: Please can anyone help me to understand the shedding patterns for chows or is this just some weird thing Bramble is doing?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Coat question

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Idk if it's normal or not, but I'm having to sweep and vaccum up T&J's fur too. Of course, since we have weird weather here I've kinda become used to Tippsy doing this.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Firesong is doing the same thing, Dreamdancer isn't. I think the weather is causing it, it was real warm here for longer than it should have been, and now it's cold. I'd expect that exposure to the cold and more time outside willl cause the coat to regrow over the winter, but then who knows what spring will bring. Kiwani once said that shedding is caused not just by temperture but by the amount of light during the day, nutrition etc. I've noticed during the last year or so that mine seem to be shedding almost year round...and they say our climate isn't changing, HAH!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

what kind of food do u feed him? I heared some foods cause dogs to shed alot more than they should.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I always figured the winter shedding was because they spend a lot of time indoors where the heater is on so they didn't need as much winter coat as they grew. No one told me that though so I don't know if it is true or not. :wink:
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

Lola is doing the same ??????????
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I am not sure of the answer, but neither one of mine are shedding yet. My groomer said Louie had a lot of hair come out on his last grooming day (Dec. 21) but he is definitely not blowing his coat yet. I wonder at what age they loose their puppy coat? Louie is 11 months old and has not lost his yet.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

All very confusing and I keep telling Bramble she can loose her coat now but she MUST grow another for March. I cant see it happening because she has only just finished growing this one. Silly chow!!!
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

You guys read my mind, I logged on today to ask about the same thing! Little Bear is shedding her undercoat like crazy... she didn't shed last year at this time though... I was scared there might be something the matter with her, it doesn't really make sense because it is so cold out! Thanks for putting my mind at ease... :)
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

The fluctuation in temperature are causing mine to shed a little as well. My best advice is groom, groom, groom as it encourages coat growth & conditioning. Coming in & out of season will also affect coat in bitches.

Louie is shedding like crazy, in the middle of a coat change & entered for shows in 3 weeks.... :evil:

There is always thickening shampoo & blowdrying if the worst comes to the worst :lol: :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

They just do it to wind us up!!! I may need to pick your brains nearer the time I can see you know the tricks of the trade....I am just a real novice. :laughloud:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Mailie's Mom wrote:I am not sure of the answer, but neither one of mine are shedding yet. My groomer said Louie had a lot of hair come out on his last grooming day (Dec. 21) but he is definitely not blowing his coat yet. I wonder at what age they loose their puppy coat? Louie is 11 months old and has not lost his yet.
12-18 months is when they do it, during their first real "blow" Dreamdancer lost his puppy coat then, I kind of miss it he was so fluffy. He's got a short coat so he doesn't look that fluffy anymore :cry: even though it is very, very thick/
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Has she been in season recently or due to come in soon? That can also affect coat
kazschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kazschow »

Benny is in a major blow as well, Sisky isn't though!!!

He's three years old, and honestly last night I groomed a pile of undercoat out that when sat next to him was bigger than he was!!! If it was both of them I would blame the weird scottish weather, but it is only the one!!! The last time he blew to this extent was at 18 months when he was losing the last of his puppy coat!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi and welcome, always glad to see another scottish member. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Please introduce your chows and lets see some pics of them. :D
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Anytime :D
Thank you Elodie!