Best shampoo for Chows?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Calift
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best shampoo for Chows?

Post by Calift »

I recently gave my chow a bath at the petstore (they offer a full tub/table....and let you do it yourself)....it worked out well and Niki was way less stressed than she usually is at the groomers. Best of all, she is finally clean!

The pet stores provides an average shampoo/conditioner....but I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for Chow-friendly shampoo? Or any other sort of grooming products? :?:

I will try to post a picture of my (finally) fluffy girl, but she hates the flash of cameras #-o
Image <3
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best shampoo for Chows?

Post by Mia »

When I wash them at one of those places I choose the most natural shampoo they have. And, I usually choose a puppy shampoo because it is gentler.
More important that the shampoo is really the rinsing. (Rinse, rinse and rinse again.)
And, really important that they are dry all they way down to their skin. Expecially under the ruff, tail and privates.
Mia
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

to be honest since working in a dog spa i will not use any chemical based shampoos any more, I buy mine now from an aromatherapist who makes shampoos to suit the dog and his her needs
KringlesDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KringlesDad »

We use the equate brand of baby shampoo for our Kringle. Works great and he smells good too! Very gentle.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Here's a link to a post that might help with your question. It is cross-posted on the "Best of Grooming" section: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2070
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

I make my own, I grind up oats (into a powder) and mix it with a water in a 2 liter bottle. Works very well. You can also add, 1/4 of tea spoon of baking soda for the smell