help with ticks??? please?!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kayleigh_bulldozer
Rank 0
Rank 0

help with ticks??? please?!

Post by kayleigh_bulldozer »

hi everyone :) my name is kayleigh and i have a chow chow that will be 2 years old in march. i wish there was a way i could put up a pictue on my username and show everyone how handsome dozer is :D

unfortunately he has had ticks for the last month or two. he was living in the house and just going out to use the bathroom a few times a day. i believe that he must have met a stray dog at the fence and caught them. they were infesting our hose and our yard so i had no choice but to put him outside to try get the ticks out of the house and they are slowly disapearing. if i can get the ticks off of him then i can bring him back inside :) i miss having his company :(

i have tried everything i can get my hands on. other than spraying the yard professionally. it breaks my heart to see him suffering. he pulled some of the hair out of his tail because i assume it was itching him.. there are ticks on him so small they look like fine ground pepper. please if anyone has any ideas, it will be greatly appreciated by dozer and myself. thankyou :)
Zhuyos mom

Re: help with ticks??? please?!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Tick medications from his vet didn't help or work? He's been tick infested for quite some time. IF you haven't already, get a Snap 4dx test done on him to make sure he didn't get lyme disease and other parasite/vector borne disease? Wish I could help you more, but chemical medicines from the vet is what helps rid and control ticks on my chows. Mine are on Revolution.

"Ground pepper" sounds more like flea dirt (aka flea poop). You should think of investing to get your lawn sprayed. It's not that expensive. But you'll have to bring your boy inside when it's being done and for at least a half hour after. Do you see the "ground pepper" on his skin more towards the lower torso of his body?
kayleigh_bulldozer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: help with ticks??? please?!

Post by kayleigh_bulldozer »

i havent hat him to the vet recently but i am definately carring him.
the revolution we used we must have been late once so he got them. now.. i have put them on him since and it doesnt help. but i have thought of shaving him down some and shampooing him with the tick shampoo. but i havent been able to bring myself to shaving off his pretty fur. but if it will get rid of them id rather hav a bald dog than a sick dog :(
oh.. i have also had a tick collar on him but it says to make sure its toucing the skin.. which is kind of hard on him.

i have also dusted him with seven dust powder and sprinkiled it in the yeard..which i know isnt that healthy for him but im desperate.

the"ground pepper" is on his skin pretty much everywhere, but when we has him inside. i saw this black stuff on the tile and thought somone had spilled "ground pepper" but turns out it was moving.. so i mopped the floor with something to kill them.

thankyou or your advice :)