Songsong is slow in changing his fur

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Songsong is slow in changing his fur

Post by xueshuxin »

Hi all, I've got a problem with Songsong changing his fur.

I know that chows change the fur at 6 mths old or so. Songsong is already 7 mths old and a little part of his back fur has changed; but that's all, his other parts are still with soft puppy fur; not changing quite fast or even at a normal speed.

What can I do about this? Is this ok? Someone suggested adding milk powder in the diet, don't know whether this will work; I haven't tired, 'cause I'm still not so sure yet.

Is this related to food? He eats Royal AK32 for puppy dogs(mid and large size), corn mixed with chicken and vege; he also takes chicken, bones as snacks. I've checked with the dog breeding book and can't find any particular element in short :cry:

He's also a bit thin; he's now around 45 pounds(20KG). He walks 5 to 6 hours a day and since it's so warm right now he eats less than before. Shall I take these into consideration too?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

No don't worry! Chows really don't blow their coat until later than 6 months. Chewie didn't until he was a little over a year so you have time. Everything is fine.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
chris

Post by chris »

Steel is just going to be 9 months, he has some puppy hair still, and to tell you the truth, I believe he was 45 lbs at about 7-8 months.

Like Mandy said, don't worry. Each chow is an individual and will progress at his/her own pace.

:D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

He is right on schedule. Lily never blew her puppy fur. I brushed her often though, so I didn't notice a big shedding.

These 2 photos were taken 2 months apart. Notice how quickly she turned...
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda is about 9 months old and I have not seen a full blown "blow" of his puppy coat and believe me, I am waiting. I just keep brushing the loose stuff out. Koda is around 60 pounds at 9 months.
Nancy and Tai

xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Thanks for all your useful info.

Now I'll just let him grow in his way and see then. Of coz I'll also take good care of him :lol: