New Chow, help never been groomed

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Chow, help never been groomed

Post by valerierichard27 »

Hello,
I have a new chow and she is 1 year old, i dont think that shes ever been groomed, ive been brushing her for 2 days now and i filled up a grocery bag of dead hair and belvieve me theres lots more to take off, i dont want to go to the groomer because here they charge alot, but im wondering how to introduce her to the bath and all, shes a good dog, not agressive at all, very friendly, i went to the vet to get her checked yesturday and she said that i was lucky to have a good dog like her, does anyone have any grooming advice ??
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow, help never been groomed

Post by Sirchow »

I never take Bramble to the groomers. I dont see the need to so I am sure you can do it yourself and one of the best things about that is you can take your time to get her used to it.

I would start by making visits to the bathroom as often as possible with her. Turn the shower on and let her get used to it. Put her in the shower or bath with out the water on and let her get used to it. Run the hair drier not pointing at her and also let her get used to that . Gradually build up the things you do but dont rush her. Lots of rewards to make it a pleasant experience. Better to wash just paws for a week than to have a bath phobic chow. I find keeping the shower head close to Bramble helps as there is less noise. When you do get to the point of actually washing her use a very mild shampoo and I cant stress enough the importance of rinsing. Badly rinsed chows are in danger of developing hot spots so when you think you have done it enough do it one more time. The same goes for drying for the same reason. Lots of rewards along the way and she will learn, if not to enjoy it at least to put up with it.

Bramble stands like someone waiting for a bus in the rain whilst being bathed. :lol: Total resignation.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

If you want to do all your grooming yourself - it's really easy. I do all my grooming for my two.
Don't be discouraged by the brushing, once you get the coat in good shape - it's easier to do a little each day or every couple of days. There are times of the year when you can get grocery bags full of hair.
Just keep brushing until you are sure there are no knots or mats and all the hair has been brushed and all the loose hair comes out.

I have bathed mine in the bathtub - doesn't work so well unless you can find a way for the hair not to go down the drain.
I actually wash mine outside with the hose. I use an all natural puppy shamnpoo. Introduce the water slowly, in the beginning I kept the water away from their faces - usually they don't seem to like it. Give lots of treats and do it slowly. Even if you have to start with the back end and slowly work your way up toward her head.

Most important thing - rinse, rinse and rinse again. Chow can be quite susceptible to skin conditions and it's important that no residue of shampoo is left on them.

Then, also make sure the dry her with a low heat or cool dryer. It's important after towel drying to make sure that the entire coat, especially around the ruff, belly, back gets TOTALLY dry. Damp hair/skin can also get their skin agravated.

Hope I didn't forget anything...
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I agree with what I've been said :D .
Coco has never been to the groomer in her life. I always wash her myself. To make it a nice experience, I look happy and talk to her a lot when I wash her hoping she will think that if it is pleasant for me, then maybe it is pleasant for her as well.
If you have a shower you can put her in, it is better than the bathtub as I remember Coco wanted to escape from it and it was a pain. Doing it outside is ideal if you have a garden and the temperatures are not low too.
Your chow seems like a sweetie, will you post her picture?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Today i went to see my groomer so she can show me how to get her coat back into shape.... she almost fainted when she saw the dog, she said that she needed a bath and SOON, he skin is full of flackes and patches, so she said i have 1 week to try to dematt her and if not ill have to shave her, this isnt a joke shes never been brushed, so i did alot this morrning, (she lent me some grooming tools) and so far id say that i got 20% off, i give her lots of treats to show her that i happy that shes beening nice through out the grooming, it must not be plesant for her
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

hers a picture of my little nelly
Attachments
nelly.jpg
nelly.jpg (108.02 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

well after 6 hours of combing and brushing, ive finally made it :D I was even able to give her a bath and dry her, wow shes a new dog !!! ill post a picture tonight to show you the difference
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Aww....she's a beautfiul baby.
Mia
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

awww.she looks pretty ! I always took my first 2 chows to the groomers. (She used to breed and show chows) So i was bringing them in alot because i had started showing and was unsure how to grrom them for the show. So she taught me everything ! Eventually i would go into her shop and bath and groom them my self and she would check them over. She felt bad charging me money but i always left the money for her. She said to me one day why dont you set up at your house and get a dryer ect. i figured it out and it would be cheaper for me in the long run !

So now i have a room all set up to grrom the boys ! Its nice being able to do it at home !!!
thanks sweetpea
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

heres my nelly after all that grooming and washing, i think i did a pretty good job
Attachments
nelly3.jpg
nelly3.jpg (124.48 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Nelly is really pretty, congratulations :D !
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Nellie is beautiful and what a great job you have done. Well done.

I am so happy to see another chow with eyebrows. :lol: Check here to see what I am talking about :lol: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... t=eyebrows
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.