Any suggestions

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any suggestions

Post by nelliegirl »

Hi...
I want to start bathing Nellie instead of taking her to the groomer so frequently. I am not sure what to use as far as shampoo (any recommendations) and how do you dry them a forced air dryer or a regular blow dryer (Nellie would not tolerate that!!).

Thanks for any help...
Jenn and Nellie
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Any suggestions

Post by summer_rose03 »

Natural shampoos, Oatmeal ones are generally most gentle.

As far as drying, for a Chow you should have a high velocity dryer. A regular human dryer would 1. take FOREVER, 2. Must be on the Cool setting or you can burn them. You can not let them air dry or they can/will get hot spots from being wet or so long. They have thick coats and do not air dry quickly.

For purchasing a velocity dryer, you can go to www.petedge.com. They start as low as like $70, I think for the lower power ones. Higher power= less drying time.

It is also important to make sure that ALL the shampoo is 100% rinsed out. You can do the "squeak" test to make sure. Safe thing to do is, when you think your done, keep going. Pay special attention to necks, bellies, and rear.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Summer Rose is right.
I use a puppy oatmeal shampoo, even thought they are big guys now - I think it's gentler.
Very, very important to rinse, rinse and rinse again.
And, I sometimes do the drying in stages. I give them a couple minute break in between drying sessions.
Mia
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

Thank you both for your help!!!