Need help w/bath and grooming time

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Need help w/bath and grooming time

Post by VTCHOW »

Hi All,

I need help with grooming and bathing time for Sadie. In basic obediance class they told us to just go get your dog instead of calling them when you have to do something they don't like to do (bath, grooming, nail clipping etc) I have followed this advice for over a year now but it's not working. From day one Sadie would see me coming and I guess she recognizes my posture or tone as being something bad is about to happen. She refuses to let me come near her. It has turned into a chase game that last for 20 minutes I end up having to trick her with her collar/leash (she likes that cause she thinks she's going outside) I know if I keep using the collar/leash trick she will begin to not like that to. Any advise??
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Mine don't like their baths either, so I am no help. LOL But hopefully you'll get some great advice we both can use. :)
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Ugh... this so horribly hard, bath tubs are awful, but lakes and treams and such are wonderful... I think it's gotta be teh biggest mystery on the planet!

I think you're doing the right thing by not calling her, but now you might be facing problems with her getting the leash and collar on for even a walk if she starts associating it with a bath. We've just picked Special up the one time and plopped him in there. I give hime toys to play with and treats to much on while my husband shampoos, etc. He ignores the toys, takes the treats, cries and tries to wiggle out... so I'm clearly not the bets person to give advice on this one! I can't wait to see what suggestions you get! Good luck and keep us updated on what works.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I thought Gracie was bad. I always had to do the same thing, just go get her. I've tried being sneaky and trying to give no hints at all what is about to go down, and I'll be, she takes one look at me and runs! Its like she is reading my thoughts. She's comical here because we have no tub, just a shower. She likes to lay around in the bathroom. But let me go in there and turn on the shower and she runs like the apartment is on fire out of the bathroom to safety.
I'm no good for giving advice either. I now am going to have to let a groomer take care of her baths.
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Funny thing is, she actually likes taking a bath she will sit on her but while I wash and rinse no problem I will even squirt the water hose a little and let her have a drink of water while she's in there. She loves that! Same thing with grooming once she is up on the table no problem. It's that ordeal of having to get her w/out calling her name.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I'll start by just repeating advice I've already given in past threads on bathing. Make sure that the water isn't too warm/uncomfortable for them, keep the bathing sessions short, don't use highly scented shampoos, and realize that water/splashing sounds are magnified in tiled bathrooms and even *more* magnified to a dog's hearing. Using a hand-held spray attachment in the tub works well and is quiet. Some dogs feel better having a little stool in the tub to climb-up on with their front paws, and some like having towels on the bottom of the tub for better grip.

Some dogs do well having a bath outdoors on a leash if you have a patio/garden. They don't feel as stressed or as trapped. Just fill some large rubbermaid-type storage tubs for rinsing, and use a separate bucket of diluted shampoo water to start wetting the coat. Towel dry after they shake off, and then take them for a walk to finish drying.

:wink:
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I actually take Sophie to the pet store to finish drying (good thing they like us there). She'll pretty much only suffer through the indignity of a bath if she knows there will be a decent payoff. :wink:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Well, I think you can try hug your baby first; and you'd better have 2 persons at the same time, one for the hug one for the bath job.

Songsong doesn't like baths either, although he likes water a lot. My sister will hug him and then I'll give him a shower; we'll give him some snacks from time to time to ease him. Basically Songsong is still calm and silent, but this bath can't take too long or he'll get really annoyed, maybe becoz he feels tired and boring.

Hope this can help you :D