Extremely dry hair

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Extremely dry hair

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, I have a 7 year old Chow and she has extremely dry flaky skin. She was diagnosed with a very low thyroid level but is currently on medication and stable. The problem is, her hair is like wool - very rough to the touch. I have tried everything I can think of, she is taking a vitamin supplement and when bathing I soak her for several minutes in conditioner. She also has some hair loss from the thyroid problem. After brushing her, 5 minutes later you cant even tell I touched her cause her hair rolls like sheep hair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank You
Mila Dyson & Niki the very spoiled Chow
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Mila,

This happened with Mabel a little while ago. Her skin and her coat were very dry. A lady I knew suggested I give her an Oil of Evening Primrose capsule every evening - I tried it but it made her sickly so I took her to the vet and he gave her some tablets that I had to give her twice a day. I think this went one for about three weeks but it did the job and she hasn't had any trouble since then. Her coat is nice and her skin normal.
So I suggest a visit to the Doc!!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
mdyson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mdyson »

Thank you
Last edited by mdyson on Sun May 08, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdyson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Niki the Spoiled Chow

Post by mdyson »

Thank you Judy for the information. We have been to the vet and she gave us a bottle of Derm Caps to try. I didn't know if there was some kind of special conditioner I should use with this or not?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

No I did not use anything, just the tablets. I suggest you just see how your tablets work. The vet wanted to know, I think how Mabel was. The tablets worked and we have had not trouble since. After everything righted itself, we gave her a nice bath with a conditioning shampoo, mainly as a regular bath and just to make her feel nice. But the tablets had worked.
So good luck and purple kisses from M & M.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jasper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jasper »

It takes 3-6 months for the coat to improve after the thyroid meds are started. Vit E capsules in the raw diet have also helped.