Stinky Chow

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Garry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stinky Chow

Post by Garry »

missie has developed the typical dog smell, just wondering how often you chows have a bath and do you have any after bath deodrents/spritzes?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Stinky Chow

Post by Mia »

OK, I am going to say that I wash my chows every month - more if they need it. I am sure that I am going to get blasted - because I think that most people believe that you shouldn't wash a chow so often. But, it's the only way I can be comfortable after I have taken them to the dog park, or a lake or hiking.

I use a home made oatmeat shampoo or an organic puppy shampoo and I don't put anything else on them. Most important thing to remember is to rinse, rinse and rinse again. Make sure there is no shampoo or dirt residue. It's also important whether you blow dry them or not, that once they seem dry, you check under their tail, arm pits and crevices to make sure that it's all dry. If not, then you have to blow dry them. You can't leave any area damp.

Residue of soap or dirt and any spot that stays damp may cause skin irritations.
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters gets at least 6 a year. Sometimes more if he is stinky or shedding. things like that. So he is once every 2 months or so. We use a shampoo for double coated breeds but it doesn't have any fancy smell to it. The only time he really smells like a dog is when he gets wet.
SweetPea Rocks!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Kearra gets a bath every 6 mos or so but usually its because she is shedding or gets into something....Kyra has an odor problem and she is shoooowwweeeee stinky every 3 weeks. I use an Aussie Shampoo & Conditioner called Plush Puppy Very good stuff recommended by Judith-Ann.....I also use Plush Puppy Odor Muchier on Kyra that stuff works WONDERS on Kyra and smells SOOOOO GOOD!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I used to bathe mine every few months but I think it has been over a year for them. I find that they only get really stinky when they have been licking themseleves a lot. As long as I keep up on the brushing and the flea medicine they seem to smell just fine. I almost took them for baths before Chowfest but after I brushed them and cleaned then up they looked okay. Well except for Fozzie but a bath would only make his matting worse. He still needs to be shaved. :roll:
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two are 6 and 5 years old - number of baths - zero...Shiloh loves water and has a kiddie pool she jumps into daily but she doesn't get a bath...they both are brushed, brushed, brushed...I love to hug and bury my face in their Chow mane and smell their chowness :D
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yogi starts to smell after 2 weeks. He gets bath's twice a month.
Garry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Garry »

yogi gets bathed a lot then. do you have trouble with the fur at all?
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I give my two a bath twice a month. Mailie stinks under her chin, neck area and I can't stand it! Louie is still a pup (5 months old) and rolls into everything (plus he is a cream so you can see the dirt and grass on him). I use a hypo-allergenic organic oatmeal puppy shampoo because my kids are allergic to fragrance. I keep them well brushed and remove all dead undercoat. I also make sure every inch of them is completely dry.

Louie after a bath.

Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!