Groomer Recommendation

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mvarvodic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Groomer Recommendation

Post by mvarvodic »

Hi everyone! I have a new Chow Chow puppy and I'm looking for groomer referrals around the city of Chicago, IL. Can anyone recommend a good groomer or someone who specializes in the breed?
Tea
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Groomer Recommendation

Post by summer_rose03 »

I will go on my groomer forum to see if I can find someone for you.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I do not know of your area but the way I found my groomer was by talking to fellow dog owners on the street and to fellow dog walkers in the neighbourhood. That's how I got a good vet for her as well. And a boarding kennel. I also surfed on the net for comments. The groomer doesn't have to specialize in chows, it just has to be good with any breed. If you start early, your chow will get used to be handled by a groomer. Good luck!

Leonora & mum
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam in need of a groomer too.. I just called to get Nikki in and found out the girl who grooms Nikki cut her hand pretty bad and won't be back anytime soon or maybe not at all.. Darn she was the only one that I liked how she groomed Nikki.. (I think the rest were afraid of Nikki even though shes great at getting groomed they here Chow and all run the other direction.)..
Anyone have any suggestions on the Kennett square or West Chester area?? Let me know..
I called one groomer the neighbor uses for her yorkie and as soon as I said chow she didn't have an opening till Sept..Hummmm..
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I just posted again on my groomer website for Chow groomers. This time I made it more generalized and I hope to compile a list of Chow friendly groomers across the country for you all to refer to. If this actually gets responses, watch for a thread in the Grooming section titled "Chow Friendly Groomer list".

And as always, anyone in Northern MI around Traverse City--- I AM A CHOW FRIENDLY GROOMER :P. I welcome all new Chows with excitement and a smile! :P
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Summer Rose
I wish we had you closer.. Accepting a chow with a smile for grooming I've never run across.. I know groomers probably hear from everyone that their dog is friendly .. but Nikki really likes to be groomed and goes in tail waggin and kisses..Every groomer has commented on how great she is to groom. Maybe they say that to everyone I don't know but she has come out wet and chopped up looking .. My hubby says I could do better. (maybe I need to take some lessons).. LOL I appreciate your helping, I thought I had it all figured out ..then they said the groomer cut herself. They did offer to give Nikki to another girl who was new but I was afraid to take a chance. They did say she was not that experienced with show dogs?? Nikki is no show dog ..
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I did get a reply for Nikki from someone an hour away from you.

"I am about an hour away from West Chester but would be willing to work with them if their Chow is not aggressive. I don't mean to type cast but all the ones I have seen were. No offense. My trailer is small but due to the distance they would be welcome to stay or shop at one of the many local malls. If interested you may contact me. mmfgroomer@yahoo.com.
I am actually 20 minutes north of Allentown."

I have seen many replies from her and she seems to be a good groomer. She has been on the forum a long time. Please don't be turned down by her comment, some groomers have had bad experiences with Chows (not saying she has), but not every Chow owner is as consistent about keeping their Chow groomed as us on the forum. This being said, if you don't get the dog groomed till they are full grown or in bad shape, I don't blame the dog for not being happy. So,unfortunately, most groomers only get to see the worst side of Chows, not the best. I believe your Nikki would dissipate any bad rumors or reputations they have, I know Carter does. And, if for any reason you are not happy with the service, don't be afraid to speak up.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Well that actually is a hike cause Iam 25 min. from W.Chester.. but I'll give her an email and see if its a direct shot down the highway. Iam not that familar with that area so I'll ask her. Let me know if you get any more responses. Thank you for your help.. I just got done brushing and spraying her up alittle myself since she was at the sitters house with her 3 dogs she got alittle rough looking from playing out in the yard .(lets see there is a creek and that looks like fun to play in).. LOL
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I am not sure if this one is anywhere near or not, but here is another one in PA.

DeAnne Orive, CMG (IPG) (CMG means Certified Master Groomer)
Grand Slam Grooming, Inc.
2100 Bower Hill Rd
Scott Township, PA 15243
412-221-5081
http://www.grandslamgrooming.com
Let her know you were referred by Misty on the Groomer to Groomer forum. She has a waiting list.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I just looked the last one up on mapquest cause I never heard of the township? Its 5hrs 50min. away.. Humm, sounded good.. I really do appreciate you trying to help.. Like I said not much to choose from around here. I actually found some lady who groomed chows from the Martha stewart chow paw paw's line?? So I will give her a try .. Shes an hour away but at least I have a friend in the area I can go visit once a month for lunch.. she too is booked like crazy. And a trainer I was talking to actually told me the name of someone at another petsmart that would be fine doing a chow. (as long as its friendly).
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

i will eventually need a chicago groomer for yogi as well. Took petsmart two people and they could barley cut yogi's nails. It was bad
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

lightforce--- that is not necessarily the groomer's fault that it took two people to trim the nails, some dogs, especially puppies, dislike their nails and feet handled. If they are not desensitized early on, nail trimming can be traumatic.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!