Hair Growth Question

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

JDMonster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hair Growth Question

Post by JDMonster »

I took my Chow Nikko to a groomer and they decided on there own that he would look best with a Lion cut...... boy was i pissed. Well its been over 6 months and his hair has grown back everywhere except one area! The area where his tail lies on his back has stayed the same length that they shaved it. Any idea on how i can get it to grow back?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hair Growth Question

Post by kiwani »

JDMonster wrote:I took my Chow Nikko to a groomer and they decided on there own that he would look best with a Lion cut...... boy was i pissed. Well its been over 6 months and his hair has grown back everywhere except one area! The area where his tail lies on his back has stayed the same length that they shaved it. Any idea on how i can get it to grow back?
I'm going to post two links which contain a lot of research information on the topic.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10814

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10113
debrawithoutanh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by debrawithoutanh »

OMG!!!! PETCO did the exact same thing to MY DOG too!!!!! i cried so hard! & they weren't even nice about it when i told them i was completely unhappy w/ it! they gave him a lion cut too & it looks like his head doesnt match his body & im soooooo angry! they didnt even call me to let me know what they were gonna do! im writting an email to the corporate office because they didnt handle customer dissatisfaction well at all! how lond did you wait until you noticed his hair growing?

thanks for this post, it makes me feel like im not alone! :(
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

What a nightmare when i rescued my two girls they were shaved all over i mean to the skin, they looked awful, a groomer had volunteered to groom the girls before they were due to come to us but the task in hand must have been to costly in time, so for a quick fix she shaved them, the rescue was also unaware of this until they came to collect them and i got a very apologetic phone call so i did not get a shock when i came to pick the girls up, the draw back to shaving any dog the coat can possibly grow back much thicker than it was to start with it can also mess up any moult cycle the dog had, and i it may not you may have no changes at all, it will depend entirely on the dog....
It has taken almost a year to the day to get them back into full coat it will be a year on the 16th october, Taishi coat has grown back lovely but yumi's coat is dry and thick and will easily mat if left unatteded to. To help coats in all my dogs the get ethically produced salmon oil and a hypo-allergenic diet plus i use aromatherepy shampoos (i insist my dogs hair products are chemical free) from a business here in the uk whos products i have used with great results for years now. Try not to despair to much, its hard i know i was mortified when i saw the girls at first but it will grow back, here is a little picture diary of the growth rate of my two girls, I hope this offers you a tiny bit of help.

First day home 16th oct 09
yumi
Taishi

new years day
yumi
Taishi

March 2010
July 2010

Yumi 30th september 10

In fact tonight I gave taishi her first trim and tidy up even though she gets bathed on a regular basis thanks to the shampoos i use which do not damage or dry the coat or skin, i have been putting it off even if she did have wild hair! yumi also has wild hair now lol she will be getting her hair trimmed before our 1 year anniversary the downside at the moment is yumi attends hydrotherepy weekly and has been doing that for the last 4 months due to the cruitiate operation she had in feb this year, thats does not help her coat but is something which needs toi be done for her long term benefit. I must get some up to date pictures
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Updated pics will be a year tomorrow and they have just had their first haircut yumi had hers today and taishi wednesday.... i would say they back to full coat now

chinabear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chinabear »

awwww the girls look great,china's undercoat is nearly back im so glad she was even starting to curl up in bed because she could feel the cold bless her,we will have to catch up soon xx :D
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Hi huni sorry its been so long glad to hear china is doing well but with the way you adore her its no surprise lol, will contact you in the week to meet up things are difficult around here now with all the off lead bans in place, so we have found a field the girls can run freely with their friends.