Sunscreen

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sunscreen

Post by Karla »

Hi There,

Wondering if any other black-chow people have issues with black staying black? Mika's fur grows in black with her undercoat grayish; she was malnourished in her previous life and had turned reddish from it as well have having 2 peroxide "dips" because of skunk tangles...that being said she's all back to her normal but the ends of her hair get bleached out by the sun (I think anyways) and she ends up the black-brown chow. Do any of you know of a good trick to keep her black a proper black like: food tricks, sunscreens, mink oil etcetc?

Thanks,
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sunscreen

Post by CoraP. »

I have read that you can mix some sunscreen with water in a spray bottle and spray it on when they go outside. That is supposed to help keep the sun from bleaching out the black fur and making it get "rusty". I've never tried it though, but I thought it sounded like a good idea.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

CoraP. wrote:I have read that you can mix some sunscreen with water in a spray bottle and spray it on when they go outside. That is supposed to help keep the sun from bleaching out the black fur and making it get "rusty". I've never tried it though, but I thought it sounded like a good idea.
Thanks, I'll check it out. As is I have to put baby sunscreen on my cat in the summer (her forehead infront of her ears burns :cry: ), we'll see if Mika licks it off, should taste great!
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Check out Layla's post right underneath this one: "Leave in Conditioners"
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Layla suggested this shampoo to me. I bought some and she was bathed with it this week but I haven't ordered the sunscreen that is mentioned in the next thread yet.

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... 3346_13281
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Karla wrote:Hi There,

Wondering if any other black-chow people have issues with black staying black? Mika's fur grows in black with her undercoat grayish; she was malnourished in her previous life and had turned reddish from it as well have having 2 peroxide "dips" because of skunk tangles...that being said she's all back to her normal but the ends of her hair get bleached out by the sun (I think anyways) and she ends up the black-brown chow. Do any of you know of a good trick to keep her black a proper black like: food tricks, sunscreens, mink oil etcetc?

Thanks,
Over the years, I've posted a lot of information on this topic - you'll find most of those threads using the keywords: color intensifying. These are shampoos/conditioners giving a beautiful and protective show finish to coats and the results are long lasting. Here's one of the threads:

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 7&p=125127