Leave In Conditioners???

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Leave In Conditioners???

Post by vicster605 »

Anyone know of a good leave in conditioner??? Kyra is very dry even though I use a conditioner on her when I bath her. She has an odor problem and has to be bathed every 2-3 weeks so her fur gets dry.

Thanks Sweetpea!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Leave In Conditioners???

Post by summer_rose03 »

What shampoo do you use when you bathe her every few weeks? Are you using a conditioner after shampooing? If its not a prescription shampoo, I highly suggest Hydrosurge Apricot Sulfur. I love it. Works for dry, itchy, greasy/oily/stinky dogs. I use it on my English Setter who has severe allergies. I only know for sure that you can get it at PetSmart. I don't know of any leave in conditioners.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RICQDO
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I use Plush Puppy natural conditioning shampoo and Plush Puppy natural silk protein conditioner (an Aussie Product) recommended by Judith-Ann and its wonderful stuff. Kyra has had this issue since she was a puppy. I've asked the Vet who thinks I'm nuts and have a sensative nose BUT that means my entire family and all my friends also have a sensative nose as well. Kyra will just about knock you down with doggy odor after coming in from outside after she gets warm from outside even after a bath the smell is still there, after she cools off she smells of shampoo, but it isn't as bad for about 2-3 weeks then the smell just stays. Judith-Ann said the only thing that makes sense that purhaps she has an over active gland problem and that makes sense to me as her coat will get oily on her back when she is starting to get stinky. I've tryed tons of different shampoos. I'll give this one a try if you think it would help

Thanks Sweetpea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

vicster605 wrote:Anyone know of a good leave in conditioner??? Kyra is very dry even though I use a conditioner on her when I bath her. She has an odor problem and has to be bathed every 2-3 weeks so her fur gets dry.
Veterinarian's Best Moisture mist Conditioner, Moisturizes coat, detangles Hair and relieves dry skin, leave on formula for dogs. Pekoe likes it, it feels cool on her skin its the only thing she dosn't run from.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I love that shampoo. As a groomer, I use it on dogs with all kinds of skin problems. It gets rid of oily buildup without drying out the skin. And it really helps with odor. I do tons of yorkies and cockers that tend to get the nasty greasy/dry skin and this is the only thing I have found that will really get them clean. I highly recommend it. I have used it on Carter every bath because he tends to get very flaky dandruff with the cold right now (as do most dogs).

If you try it, let me know what you think! It's the only shampoo I will use on Cash!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Summer is coming again and it gets worse when its hot out, so I will give the shampoo a try and also the Moisterizer....where do you find it Jeff?? I'll let you know if it helps

Thanks Sweetpea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Petco has it, should in the grooming supply area

http://www.petguys.com/-031658100050.html
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I use http://www.chrissystems.com/iceonice1.htm It's good for Millie's dry fur & I like that the sunscreen in it helps keep Mr Alf black inthe summer.
Thank you Elodie!