grooming

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

how often do you groom your chowling?

1hr weekly
75%
1/2 hr weekly
25%

Total votes: 8

daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

grooming

Post by daryl168yang »

who knows how to properly groom a chow chow?
my baby does not like me grooming him. he is still a puppy. how should i deal with it?
love all advice. thxs
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Neither choice is the correct answer in your 'grooming poll'

You'd be better off grooming your pup for very short intervals, with treats or some reward, a few times a day, everyday. The point is not to do grooming, but to get the pup used to being handled this way. Then you'd increase the length of sessions, and decrease the amount of sessions. For example, five minutes three times a day, turns into ten minutes twice a day, then fifteen minutes once a day...
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Kiwani... your wisdom is so right on. Miss Molly hates being brushed. We are doing the little by little like we did with King Koda in the beginning. My way of thinking is at least an hour total for the week. :)
Nancy and Tai

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily loved her grooming time, until her mane became unruly, now she runs when she sees the grooming stuff come out. She allows, and even enjoys her body brushed out, I spend an hour a week on the body, and 2 hours a week for her mane, broken up in 40 minute sessions. I still fall behind.
Murphy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Murphy »

Murphy hates the brush but allows grooming of the body for about 15 minutes a time. He is sensitive about his rump area so that is very difficult to brush. Working with a leash to hold still sometimes helps just enough for 5 minutes of the rump area brushing. Otherwise he would run away from me and zoomie until I gave up. During shedding time I would have to brush over 30 minutes a day but after the shedding a good 15 minutes every other day works for him- except his butt again. :wink:
- M & M, Michelle and Murphy