Best time of year for hair trimming?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Best time of year for hair trimming?

Post by sdasilva27 »

Now that McKenzie's hair is growing in well, I want to take her to get a trim. Just to even things out and make it all the same length and have her foot and leg hair trimmed up. She'll get a bathe, nails and ears done at the same time.

But I'm wondering, is there a "best" time of year to do this? I don't know when the "winter" coat will start shedding and I don't want her to get all groomed up, only to start shedding it all out a week later.

Do the months when chows shed differ per location/climate? I know Baloo used to do his heavy shedding twice a year for the summer and winter coats but I can't for the life of me remember when that was and if it may be different in MA than FL.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best time of year for hair trimming?

Post by CoraP. »

I'm not sure about the best time to get chows trimmed. I do know, though, that Molly is shedding right now! If McKenzie isn't shedding, I'd probably do it now.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

She's shedding a little bit but it's only about half the brush full when I do her whole body and most of it is from her mane. I guess it's hard to tell because the only good groomer that I can find (good by recommendations) only has appointments open 2 months in advance! So I guess she is good and is one of the few I've found that's not scared of working on a chow so it seems like she's worth waiting for. It's just hard to judge when (at least 2 months from now) would be best...

Thanks for the input Cora!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow! She must be good! I didn't realize some groomers won't work with chows until we adopted Molly. I told the rescue lady I had told a groomer I'd used for Dusty we might be getting a chow and she said she groomed a chow regularly. The rescue lady said,"Well, at least she'll work on chows!" Then, from talking to others on this forum I realized even more about the problems some people have! If you wait 2 months, McKenzie should be ready. Hope you'll put up some pictures after she's all spiffed up!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

I just had my guy groomed last week, the groomer said she got an entire trash bag of hair off of him. He is blowing his winter coat, she said she had other dogs that were doing the same thing. We had a warm blast, that may have triggered it, the sooner you get going the easier it will be to maintain. I feel bad for people that have so many problems with groomers, we got lucky, she only charged me $55.00 that included nails, ears, bath etc, and did his *Censored Word* glands.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I would wait until you can easily start pulling hair out. That means she's starting to blow her coat. If you she's not doing that now, then you will end up having her shed a ton in a few weeks-month. It's easier on the groomer if the hair is ready to come out, then they can blow most of it out before the bath.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Well since I have to book at least a month out, I think I'll call and make the appt for the last week of March. Thanks for your advice guys!