Problems with chi-chings nails...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Problems with chi-chings nails...

Post by PurpleKisses »

Well, cutting them to be exact, normally, he lets me do it just fine, no fuss or anything, but ever since it snowed he refuses to let me cut them and it turns into a big struggle. They are getting long though and I really want to cut them but I do not know why he has changed all of a sudden. This is the most amount of snow he has ever seen...... could it have anything to do with that?? He lets me brush him fine and play with his paws fine, he just doesn't want his nails cut. He got nipped once as a very young puppy but has never since, and he has never really been afraid to let me do his nails..... it is so strange.

Any ideas?
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Problems with chi-chings nails...

Post by summer_rose03 »

Do you use regular doggy nail clippers? Have you tried a nail grinder? He won't know its for his nails, especially if he's used to having clippers on his feet.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

I haven't tried one, but I could. I usually just use normal clippers. I will see if my husband has a router....if not, I guess I can get a late christmas present! :mrgreen: =D= \:D/
Chi-Ching
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

The snow/cold may make his nails more sensitive, so he's reluctant to allow you to trim them. And the nail trimmers kind of squeeze the nails so some dogs have a real problem with that.

And it could also just be coincidental and he's just decided he doesn't want his nails trimmed. Usually if my dogs get a bit grumpy about their nails I just tell them "knock it off" and I make them put up with it. The quicker they put up with it, the quicker I can get it done. And of course I always use lots of goodies (in fact Tazer runs over and offers me her paw now .. *L* .. she's a sucker for treats!).

I use both nail trimmers and the dremel nail grinder on my dogs. I usually clip the excess off with the trimmers and then use the grinder to smooth them out and get them as short as possible. My hands are pretty weak at times so the dogs don't get their nails trimmed as often as they should anymore. If you use a nail grinder be really careful not to get it caught in the fur - that's happened a couple of times with Khana and she's fine with it, but I think it would freak out many dogs.

You might try soaking his feet in some warm water before trimming the nails. You could just use a wet towel and wrap it around the foot for a bit. That would soften the nails and if there's a sensitivity that has been created due to the cold, it should help. And then spread some liverwurst on the floor and let him lick it up while you clip a couple of nails and see what he does. Good luck!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Mike was in charge of Tess' toe nails - I asked him about winter and he said that he did them less than the rest of the year. I think Chows need more traction in the winter. Tess' paw prints looked like a bear cub's prints in the snow.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Me & Tess wrote:Mike was in charge of Tess' toe nails - I asked him about winter and he said that he did them less than the rest of the year. I think Chows need more traction in the winter. Tess' paw prints looked like a bear cub's prints in the snow.
That is true, I have watched my chows walk in the snow for years and they tend to put more of the foot down in the winter, spread out their toes more and use their nails for traction. Firesong can walk actually walk on top of most drifts and not sink too deeply into them by walking this way. Most of my males have been able to plowy through the drifts and snow with little problem, it's kind of neat seeing the kind of sled dogs they were meant to be.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Okay, so when I clip his nails, or router them, I will leave them a little bit longer then normal.... That makes alot of sense.
Chi-Ching