Is this just shedding or something more?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this just shedding or something more?

Post by VioletD »

Hi,
I hope someone can answer this question. I had a chow chow mix for 12 years and I loved her!!! She shed a great deal but was okay with my brushing and fussing over her. I have just adopted Koko who is a full chow. She is shedding now but it almost looks like she is molting. She has places down her back that have only the top coat of fur on them. I was wondering if I should bring her to the vet or just wait to see if her undercoat grows in. She is not scratching or biting the area and is not uncomfortable at all. She is just getting used to my husband and I and I didn't want to frighten her by bringing her to the vet. The girl who rescued her took her for all her shots and a check up about 5 weeks ago. If anyone can describe what shedding looks like I would appreciate it. My other dog never lost her fur like this so I guess that is why I am concerned.
Thanks for the help,
Violet
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is this just shedding or something more?

Post by Layla »

That sounds a little too much to me. Both mine shed hugely this summer, I was convinced that they would be bald soon there was so much fur coming off them. However, they never had any bald patches anywhere. Lossing a lot of coat can be indicative of thyroid issues so worth a vet check. However, it could just be that Koko was a little stressed by her move and that caused it.... I'd check it out to be sure though. Keep us updated please.
Thank you Elodie!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Can you post a pic so we can see what you mean? Did you change foods when you adopted her?

Mine range from very thick wooly coats (Bear and Samantha) to thinner, smoother coats (Ping and Tod). Ping will lose a ton of fur and then her coat looks very thin, but she grows it back in later in the year. She's pretty thick right now. Samantha always looks like a wooly mammoth no matter what time of year. I often wonder if it's a metabolism thing since Bear and Sammy don't get around as much as Ping and Tod. Tod's a mix so he takes more after his retriever side.
VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VioletD »

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get a pic but she runs if I come near her with the camera. She is feeling more at home here but she still has her moments of worry. I would be more concerned if she seemed uncomfortable but she is very playful and she has been eating like a horse. I am feeding her the same food the girl who rescued her fed her. I have used the same vet for 20+ years so I think I will give her a call and see if she wants me to bring her in. I will keep everyone posted but if there are any other thoughts out there I'd love to hear them.
Thanks!
Violet
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Bear has always shed alot but I think this year is definitely much worse than any other year and I am not sure why. I think his coat is much thinner this winter than I have ever seen it. I always looked forward to his winter coat because it was always gorgeous. It would be interesting to know if others see a difference this year as well.

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

How old is she? My Shug shed his puppy coat and undercoat this summer all at once and all he had left was the 'rough' outer coat. He wasn't bald by any means but his hair was so much thinner...no undercoat at all...his mane was about half the size it was before. I had never experienced this drastic of a shed either but now his winter/undercoat has grown back just fine. Could just be a massive shed or maybe u should check with the vet just to be sure.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Bring her to a groomer and have them just brush her 15-20 minutes. Don't let them talk you into shaving her down whatsoever. It sounds like undercoat that was not brushed out thoroughly.
Chingshouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chingshouse »

It could also be caused by stress. I would keep watching her and if it gets worse then take her to the vet....she has to go sometime!! :)

Good luck!

Barb
VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VioletD »

Thanks for all the great thoughts! I called my vet today...thank goodness I've used the same one for over 20 years. Her thoughts were that the excessive fur loss could be from stress, poor nutrition, or it could just be the way she sheds. She also said that as long as I didn't notice her scratching or biting at any of the thinning areas she didn't think it was something such as mange. Of course she said to keep an eye on her and if I did notice it getting worse or turning red to call and bring her in. I think I will wait and see if something starts to grow back. She hasn't lost any fur around her head, backside, or tail. I will keep you posted...hopefully she will settle down the longer her routine stays the same. Now if I could just make her not be afraid to go poop outside I'd be home free!!! Thanks again!
Violet
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks for the update on Koko. I hope she gets the idea of going outside to poop, too! I think she will. I was just reading the post by maximusfuricus in the training section. They have a young rescue that also is having bathroom issues...as well as others! You may find it interesting to read his post and maybe offer some advice...it reminded me a little of you and Koko.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand