Pet Clippers

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pet Clippers

Post by crs09s »

I am a beginner at grooming my chow chow. I usually use grooming scissors because my dog is afraid of the buzzing noise that the clippers make. But as you could imagine that could be quite lengthy, about 2-3 hours overall. I bought some clippers from Superpetz, they were light duty clippers, but when I went to exchange them for the Heavy Duty ones, the guy said that I would need to get clippers similar to sheep shears. The brand of the clippers were Oster by the way. I just need to know what brand of clippers, or the exact clippers that would work best for shaving my chow chow. 8)

This is Alley, she is my Chow Chow.
Last edited by crs09s on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pet Clippers

Post by NanouetJon »

Why would you shave a chow?

Chows coats are exactly as they should be? Unless you are doing it for medical reasons, You shouldn't shave a chow, the two coats will keep them warm or cool.

Don;t shave chows please!
crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crs09s »

Ok, I worded it wrong. I do not mean to "shave" the chow, but to merely trim the chow. Like they do at the groomers. I would just take her to the groomers but they are ridiculous around here. But the problem is that they charge an arm and a leg around here because they consider chows a vicious dog. So I need to get clippers to groom my chow, the other ones we had wouldn't get under her coat properly.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I don't have advice about clippers, but wanted to say Alley is beautiful!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I use the Andis Ultra Edge clippers. I use them all day, 5 days a week on all types of coats. They are expensive, but they will definitely do the job. You can get them from http://www.petedge.com for less than you can get them at a pet store.

The key to a good cut is having the dog clean and completely brushed out. You need to have all undercoat, mats, and tangles out of the dog or you won't be able to get through the coat. How long are you wanting to leave her?
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
crs09s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crs09s »

Well right now she just got a grooming, so we are waiting for her hair to grow out more.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I trim my cockers with a wahl , it is ok but i just ordered an andis 2 speed. I read that both oster and andis is good but the andis is quietier, I do have to shave yoshi's tummy, he has mega mats from sitting in the snow