Little black beads - what are they

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Little black beads - what are they

Post by ChowFUN »

Hi Everyone,

I was giving Mochi a belly rub today when I noticed he had little black specks on his testicles. At first I got scared and thought they were bugs but when I looked closely and started cleaning them off, they just look like little black beads. They feel and look like what comes out of a blackhead, bigger than just dirt and feels like a bead. I can easily cut it with a fingernail and no blood is contained inside so I don't think it's flea waste. They are not living. Does he have sweat glands down there? Are they just grime from sweat?
Zhuyos mom

Re: Little black beads - what are they

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Do the specks regenerate once you've removed them? If so, you may want to give your vet a call and ask if this is common or not. Otherwise, you can test if it is flea dirt. Wet them and if any tinges of red appear, it's flea dirt (aka flea poop, sorry icky but it is what it is and it is dried blood, thus the red color when wet).
Scarlets Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Little black beads - what are they

Post by Scarlets Mom »

Scarlet gets them too, just on her belly. I know its not fleas but have never seen anything like it. Does anyone have any ideas? ChowFUN, if you find out can you let me know?