Changing fur

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Changing fur

Post by Elaina »

As some of you may know, we rescued Mei-Mei back in October. In January she began shedding heavily. This new fur was silky and very thick. Now her silky fur is changing to a more rough coat, but she doesn't appear to be shedding. Her fur is still shiny and healthy looking, but very rough and even more thick and dense than ever. Even when she is wet, it is hard to part her fur with a comb to see her skin. Okay...now my stupid question...is she okay?

Thanks in advance for all replies. :D :D :D
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Just to make certain, wasn't Mei Mei quite young when you got her? She sounds like she blew her puppy fluff, and the regrowth (adult fur) was at first silky, but is now getting coarse (as it should be). If you have a digital camera, and can attach the photo to an email, I'd be happy to post a photo of it, if you wish. I am auddymay@hotmail.com
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Auddymay, I was told by the vet when we rescued her that she was about three years old. He also stated that because her nutrition was not good (eating garbage and McDonald's throwaways can do that to you) for the time she was on her own, she could be much younger. I will e-mail you a pic for your review.

Thank you!
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

It seems you're basically describing a coat turnover. Once the fine wooly under-coat is discarded, the coarse outer-coat appears more prominant, but as the old coat gets discarded a new one is also coming in, so it *would* be plush near the skin.