Bad haircut

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bad haircut

Post by fillyok »

I made a mistake yesterday. I took Bear and Ping to the groomers and decided to get Bear's coat trimmed. The lady asked me if I wanted a "lion-cut" which would make it much shorter. I thought that the ruff would pretty much stay the way it was....wrong. Bear now has fuzzy ears and his bushy, curled tail. He looks funny, but he's going to be much easier to groom for a while. With my broken ankle, that's a good thing. Anyway, I was wondering how long it might take to get his coat back? Has anyone ever done this? Regretted it? They're eating Nutro Lamb and Rice now and only get Nutro treats and cheese. Is there something I could add to his diet to help?
Thanks
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Is there something I could add to his diet to help?"
---

B-complex vitamins play an important role in nourishing hair and skin, and anti-oxidants protect against free radical damage, such as from sun radiation.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There has always been two Kodak Chow moments that I still regret to this day not having my camera, One was when a fully dressed police horse with rider on patrol bent its head down to sniff Pekoe and Pekoe with her nose streching to meet this horse so there they stood nose to nose sniffing each other and Pekoe licking the horses nose. The other picture which relates to this topic is Pekoe's Grooming nightmare, I left Pekoe at the groomers for about 4 hours when they were done I get a call telling me I could pick her up, I thought 4 hours wow she will look great. When I got to the groomers they let Pekoe out of the gage and there she stood with a completely bald streak down the center of her back from her head to her tail she also had all the hair they shaved wrapped around all 4 legs, she could barely walk but was happy to see me with tail wagging. When I ask what is this mess they said they did all they could and decided to stop so they wouldn't tramatize her then said if I wanted to stay they could finish even though when I brought her in I said I wanted to stay but they said no they could do the job better with out me there. I didn't have any choice but to stay and let them finish, the damage was already done and being as how she had a bald streak down her back they had no choice but to shave all of her completely bald down to pure white skin, when all the damage was done and I had a bald white rat with a big black furry head standing next to me. I said how much she said somewhere around $300 ( it was a few years ago so I forget the exact price) I paid and left cussing all the way to my car but Pekoe was happy just to get out of there. I have always wished I had my camera that day so that all could see the work of the real groomer from Hell.
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Sometimes the hair won't come back forever.

I ever wanted to trim my Songsong since it's so warm in Beijing summer; however many chow owners said no since they'd experienced chows never getting back their hair once it's gone... I just gave up.

And I have seen a chow, though still so cute, with little hair :lol: Sorry I can't stop laughing, but I love him a lot haha.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Here's a link to my groomer horror story

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic ... ight=#7880

BTW it's been a month and a half and Nanuk has grown about a inch of fur back on his neck. They had also shaved his belly and that has yet to really show any length yet :shock:

Hope your baby's fur grows in soon!
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

I have had Cody done maybe 3 times. The first 2 times looked pretty good. third time was by a different groomer and i hated to take him out he looked so bad. They say the hair is insulating but cody was an insider so I opted to have it done. Plus we walked alot in the county park and he was always brushing up against stuff that stuck (buried) to his fur. I wouldnt do it now because I just love his great red coat. But hey, we all have our fashion skeletons in the closet.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Well, I'm glad to hear (also sorry to hear) that I'm not alone in the bad haircut arena. When the groomer said a "lion cut" I thought she meant a male lion, not a female one. Yikes!
I'm hoping the fur grows back quickly, just so he doesn't look so funny. He's inside most of the time. We walk in the early morning (0530ish) and in the evening so there's little chance of getting too much sun. And on the weekends he lounges on the covered patio. His fur grew back really fast around his eyes and on his front leg after his entropion surgery, so I've got my fingers crossed.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley