Puppy coat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Puppy coat

Post by Auddymay »

There was a question raised about puppy coat and adult coat, and their differences.

As you can see, the top photo is nearly all puppy fluff, and only a few months later, Lily has most of her adult coat. She is actually about 7 1/2 months in the second photo. Her mane and feathering seemed to appear overnight!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Her face definitely reminds me of Kylee when she was younger!

But her coat, especially in the second photo, looks much like Khana. Khana didn't get her adult coat as early as Lily though. She STILL has some puppy coat left and I'm told by show people that I should be giving her warm baths to try to get that out. I'm kind of ambivalent .. I don't care if it's still there but it may work against her in a show. But I know that warm baths would not be comfortable to her so I'm going to hold off and just continue to brush.

I'll bathe her before the obedience trials in mid-May .. *L* .. and see if I can keep her clean for a whole weekend!

Do you miss the puppy coat? Khana was incredibly soft as a puppy .. I loved running my fingers through her coat. She's still soft, but the adult hair has a certain coarseness to it instead of just fuzziness.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is holding a bit of the puppy fluff on her haunches. She hasn't had a spring blow. I'm beginning to wonder if she ever will! I try and brush her twice a week. She has grown to hate me brushing her mane, but will let me brush the rest of her with vigor (and I do). She needs a bath, too, but I'm waiting until she has her blow...lol. Yes, she does look like Kylee in her overall head structure. I thought that the first time you posted your group photos. It was the one where some are on a bench with the others on the ground that caught my attention to it.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

First of all, Lily is too cute for words!

Thanks so much! I've been so curious about that. :D

I've also seen in a lot of pics, how some of the coats can be very different. Especially in a lot of the black chows I've noticed the hair is longer on some than on others. Like the hair on the tail seems to drape down rather than just stay on the back. Wow this is harder to explain than I thought! :D For example, I think Special's tail looks more like Lily's or Nancy's Koda's, rather than Sharon and Alan's JR's. I've been wondering what determines that?