New Groomer, Buddha got sick!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Groomer, Buddha got sick!

Post by Buddha4me »

I have taken Buddha to Petsmart twice, and he did fine with them. Someone recommended a local groomer in my area, she only charge $55! I went to pick him up after work yesterday, and he looked beautiful, seemed happy, was playing with other dogs, all was well. Then he suddenly threw up! He normally doesn't do this. He was there from 11:30 AM to shortly after 5:00PM. The groomer loved him, and reported that he did fine, and would love to groom him in the future. But why did he get sick? I called the vet this AM, they said it was probably stress, but to keep an eye on him, make sure he eats, drinks, the usual. I just have to wonder what would make him sick when he seemed comfortable in the environment. She does let the dogs run around together, but I figured that would just reinforce his socialization skills, he loves other dogs. Any ideas? Or reason that I should be concerned with the groomer?
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Groomer, Buddha got sick!

Post by pfordeb »

I was very worried when our dogs first threw up, but it could be Buddha ate something unusual when it was running around the groomers. How's he doing now?
courtsey of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Did he throw something up or was it like yellow bile? It could be that it if he hadn't eaten anything in several hours he might've been throwing up bile. Ping used to do that in the early morning if she didn't have anything on her stomach overnight. We fixed that by having a treat or two before bed. How did Buddha act the rest of the day? Mine were always exhausted after a day at the groomers (why I chose to do it at home now - couldn't stand the thought of them locked up waiting for their turn). Hope the little guy feels better.
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

He threw up undigested food. He gets food in his crate in the morning, I leave about 7:00. I picked him up at 11:30 from home and dropped him off at the groomers. He was finished at 5:00 when I picked him up. He seemed very happy to be there and was fine the rest of the night. I like this groomer and will probably use her again, but not if someone thinks there is a reason to be concerned. I would rather do his baths at home, but I just don't have the proper equipment to get it done right.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Poor little guy.. Perhaps the groomer gave him some treats while he was there that did not sit well with him? You could call and ask her.. Just a thought? I would find it hard to give up a groomer too if Bella seemed to like her..

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

If he just threw up and wasn't acting sick in other ways I probably won't worry about it.
Cara used to throw up all the time. She's gotten better as she got older.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

I highly doubt that he is got sick in a matter of hours. No matter what type of virus or bacteria that could have been picked up, it doesn't affect no animal or humans for that matter in a case of hours.

It just possibly could have been smothing that he ate and it didn't agree with his stomach[ or that was said previously stress.

Shane