My chow will let no one touch her!!! Please help

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow will let no one touch her!!! Please help

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

Hello, My name is Amy and I have a 9 month old female cinnamon chow. In the past month she has started some seriously agressive behavior toward other people and I cannot find anyone that will groom her. She shows no agression toward me or my family; only to strangers. I had taken her to Petsmart twice to be groomed and she was fine. The third time, they called me to come and pick her up early because she was scared to death of the dryer and I had to take her in the next morning for them to finish her. The next time I took her in she growled and lunged at the groomer and they said they would not take her. She did the same thing to her vet. Fortunately the vet would have none of that and quickly let her know who was in charge. The vet gave me a tranquilizer and I gave it to her this morning and took her to a private groomer here in Tucson. They called me an hour later and said she would not even let them get close to the crate. This is my 3rd chow. I have owned males in the past and have never had any issues with agressive behavior. I just don't understand. I am raising her the same way I raised my baby boys and she is just mean and ornery. I have got to get her bathed and brushed. She is an indoor dog and she's filthy. The groomer suggested I get her done at a vet's office that will completely sedate her. That will cost me about $110 per grooming. I just can't afford that. I do have an appt with a behaviorist tomorrow afternoon. This is just breaking my heart.
:(

Please help me!!!
ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My chow will let no one touch her!!! Please help

Post by Mia »

Has she always been this way? Could she be hurt or unwell? Maybe a vet check first to rule out any health problems.

It wouldn't hurt to start seeing if you can see why she is behaving that way at the moment that she is.

As for grooming, I do both mine and it really isn't that hard. You can slowly and gently introduce the dryer to her. And, with treats if need be.

I am still working with my girl, for over a year now on getting her more aclamated to people. It takes some work - but well worth it. You just have to be gentle but firm.
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You must not read to many of the post on the site, I pay $300.00 for grooming that price includes hazard pay for the groomer. I would never bring my Chow to a pet store for grooming they wouldn't have time to make it to the phone to call me. Chows don't like strangers especially strangers messing with them. Your not the only one on this site that has trouble at groomers and vets and it doesn't matter how you raise them. there are a few very few that don't mind but the majority Hands off.. No Chow could be more socialized then my Chow but even with that no strangers allowed when it comes to touching her she is great with the live-ins but outsiders are a differant story. I've gone through alot of vets and groomers and found its not the Chow its the beside manor and what the Chow picks up from the person when they walk in. I may pay more but the groomer and vet i have now my Chow dosn't mind, she growls but dosn't freak out, muzzles and hazard gear arn't needed.

Female Chows seem to have more of a problem then males I have had 5 chows pass through in the last couple of months the males go to the vet and groomers with very little problems I thought boy what a relief and how nice it is to be able to go to the vet and groomers then I get another female and all hell breaks lose at the grooomers, Must be a female thing just like humans.

I hope your behaviorist knows they are dealing with a Chow and not just any dog or your asking for trouble, sit, stay , heel and leash jerking dosn't work.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I'd be worried to sedate my chow. But just for grooming, I don't think I would.
Can you do the grooming yourself?
Can you have a groommer come to your home? It might be easier for her to get groomed at home, so she knows the place, with you around. Maybe the grommer can come just for combing her fur the first time, than another day to give a shower when they will know each other better.
Good luck! :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

I put her in the shower with me and she did fine with that but my water pressure sucks and her coat is so thick. I brushed her the best I could and she was fairly ok with that. When I went to brush her rear end she was ok at first but then when she'd had enough, she growled and snapped at me. I just don't have the tools to adequately groom her. All these places seem to talk a good story when you tell them you have a chow but then they wimp out and no one can seem to refer you to someone that specializes in this breed. I told the groomer today that the dryer freaked her out and when I went to pick her up, she was in a cage surrounded by friggin dryers. Thanks for traumatizing her before you chickened out !!! I guess maybe I'll just have to start brushing her for like 30 minutes a night when I get home from work until she gets it that she WILL be brushed. Maybe once every 6 months I'll consider having her sedated and thoroughly brushed. I just can get down to the bottom of her coat without her turning on me.
ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

When it's decent out - you can use a hose. That works when I clean my guys. Then I take them in and dry them.
Mia
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

She would run away from the hose. I don't really think it's the bathing part so much as the brushing. She seemed to do fine in the shower and that's how I bathed her when she was little. She was just recently to the vet and the only thing wrong with her is her attitude. My vet said I needed to get a trainer right away for her. I'm a single mom of three and I just can't afford this extra expense. It's just making me sick because I will not just give my dog away to someone that won't work with her but at the same time, I am worried sick about how I'm going to deal with her.
ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I have two quite stubborn chows - so I know how that is. But, you can do it. If you've raised or are raising kids, just think of them as stubborn kids. It does take a firm hand - that's for sure. I try to be very gentle but firm.
Mine don't like being brushed either, but you can work with that slowly. Brush a little, then give some treats. (Really good treats.) Then give her some time and then, go back to it. It takes a long time, I know, but it really would be even cheaper for you to get a rake comb and do it yourself. She will get used to you sooner than a stranger. But, if you really want someone else to do it, just get her used to the comb slowly. Maybe after she gets used to you - you can have her meet and get to know a groomer. Get the groomer to give her treats and get to know her. It all takes time, but it can get done.
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There is a groomer out there somewhere that won't have a problem with her its all in the attitude and skill of the groomer, pet stores sure don't have that type of groomer. Try looking up for a mobile groomer if you have them in your area, they will come to your house. Tell them you have a Chow with an attitude most will say no thanks but there will be one that says no problem, then your on a roll, you may still get some growls and teeth at first but that one special groomer has a way of letting your Chow know their not there to kill them,

I don't think you said it but as for sedating for grooming, NEVER, even most groomers won't sedate now, from what I hear they have more trouble and its more dangerous working with a sedated dog plus they have no idea how much to give. Don't ever let anyone sedate your Chow vet or groomer with out you knowing what it is, the dosage and side effects, once you find that out cut it in half for a Chow better yet don't give it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

I am using a rake. It just breaks my heart to have her try and bite me. I completely trusted my boys. I would put my hand in their mouths. My second chow came from a no kill shelter and from the minute he moved in I loved him/he loved me and that was the end. She obvioulsly trusts me since she'll let me bathe her and even attempt to brush her but how do I train her that she WILL NOT bite me?
ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

That's a toughie. I can just say go slowly - build trust - and go slowly.
Mia
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Does she actually clamp down? Buddha HATES to be brushed and he might mouth me a little (he's never EVER actually bit down at all...he doesn't even like me to have a hand anywhere near his mouth actually) to tell me enough's enough (and that's after he's squirmed and moved as far away as possible from me! LOL). You might try getting a good conditioner, that's where Buddha refuses to be brushed is on his backside, I think because the fur is so rough there, it pulls when you brush. I have yet to get a non spray on conditioner (plan to soon SO MUCH EASIER! He get's so mad at me when I spray something girly on him...he really does get quite huffy and mad at me for that ), but I think that'll work a lot better than a spray on conditioner.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry that you're having this problem. I had a chowmix who always hated being messed with, especially his paws. At the vets, he was alright when he was young, but as he got older and had a bad experience with one vet, he hated going there, too. He sounded really vicious and mean, but would let us do things that he wouldn't let anyone else do. I think with time and patience, and consistent work with her, you'll be just fine. I would try to get her used to you doing the grooming and not worry about having her get used to a stranger doing it. Many chows just don't like to be handled by people they don't know. It sounds like your boys were wonderful, but try not to compare her to them. She is very different, but I'm sure she loves you as much as they did. Try not to take it personally. Good luck!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

That's a good point. She has NEVER actually bitten anyone but I'm saying that attitude ain't gonna fly around this house. Maybe the trainer tomorrow can give me some tips on showing her who is the boss. I really do love her. I feel so bad because I lost my 2nd chow to cancer a year ago in September and I just couldn't get used to not having that wagging tail, excited, I'm so glad you're home, welcome at my front door. So I bought my new little girl in Feb this year and my boyfriend was so mad. I've already admitted that it probably wasn't one of my best decisions. So now I have all these issues I'm dealing with and I feel like my boyfriend would rather I just get rid of the dog. He says he doesn't hate her but I just can't give her away knowing that someone else might get her and decide she's too much trouble and just abandon her or put her down. I know she can be a good girl.
So, the funny thing is I gave her that tranquilizer at 10:30 this morning. It's 4:43 now and I think it just kicked in. LOL. Maybe I should take her back to the groomers.NOT !!!
ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

You know Amy, others on here have said that chows go through kind of a "teenage" stage around this age. Maybe in time, she will lose some of that attitude(that's what I'm hoping with my teenage daughter!). I have found, though, that chows can have quite the "attitude". It's a very fine line that we have to tread. It is awful to lose one you've loved so much and many people will run right out and get another dog to help ease the pain. I did that after Bear died, and it didn't work out at all, and I will always be sorry. It sounds like you are really trying, and do love her. Give her time... and tell the boyfriend to "chill." A lot of people on here love the NILF way of working with chows. If you do a search on the topic, you might get some good ideas. I hope it all works out for you all.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mr. Nahkohe was about 8-9 months old when he was first introduced to the groomer. Having dealt with difficult clients before, she asked me to stay until she could figure out if she could actually groom him. It was a long 2 or 3 hours but it got done. I stayed the entire time. No bathing, just brushing and trimming. Both myself and Mr. N - probably the groomer, too were exhausted after it was done. Despite the nightmare, the groomer pulled out her appointment book and said we should book another appointment in 5-6 weeks. I had expected a "don't come back here". I think any other groomer would have said that...so if you can call around and explain everything, maybe you can find a groomer willing to work with you. I still stay for every appointment - it's not a drop off situation.
It's going on 2 years with this same groomer now. One appointment, while holding Mr. N, he started to fall asleep...but then his last appt he was irritable and tried to snap at the groomer :roll:
When I try to brush my cats, they like it, like it, and then whack! they turn and try to scratch me. So it's not just our Chowdren...
If you can try brushing until it seems she has had enough, you might find she will put up with it a bit longer each time. Do you really need to bath her? Mr. N has never been bathed as he hates water...just ALOT of brushing.
I would never recommend sedating your Chow to be groomed. Chows have such a hard time with sedation - it's not worth the risk.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

I understand this dilemna completely. I empathize. I've had Bear2 now for a year and a half, a rescue dog as well whom I was told was 3 yo, actually 5, now like 6-1/2 yo. His hair was all shorn when I got him. I'm not sure it was ever allowed to grow out. His hair has grown back but the its like the hair is confused. All the fluff that ruled before has battled with the really beautiful long black shiny hair - and the fluff mostly is winning. To top it off, Bear2 will NOT let me near his rear end - until recently. I have all the rakes, combs, brushes in the world, and he'll just sit on his *Censored Word* so I can't get there (think rasta-butt!) or plays "tag" with me around my rather small domicile. The good news is that we seem to have crossed a trust barrier after all this time, and he is allowing me short periods of brushing in these areas - his rear chops - and I actually have gotten one side done, and the other partly done - or as done as a first time can do it. I never feel like I ever get it all ANYWHERE, and since he's also really snappish around his face, that area is really (IMO) ucky too.
Since he is a rescue dog I suspect by his behavior was abused and is on his "second life", I don't want to push him on anyone at all most of all groomers who can misinterpret his behavior. He'll definitely snap if pushed when brushed.
I did discover that alot of his issues around his butt are because he likely has hip dysplasia/arthritis, though whether this was helped along by abuse is anyone's guess. In any case, being respectful of that has gotten me this far with him - I go so slow getting there with him. Now, happily, he is allowing me about 5 minutes of brushing, rarely more, in his butt-kiss area. The rest of his body, I have to pull and pull and pull with brush and rake etc, and still don't get to the bottom...oieeee.

But - this guy and I are so bonded now, and I am honored that he has finally trusted me to get near his rear chops even if I'm only allowed the rare 5 minutes to get in there.

So there is hope if you're patient. Bear2's independence and trust are both treasures to me.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

The undercoat rakes are really uncomfortable for them and you might have better luck with a pin brush or a slicker brush. The rakes pull a lot.
Good luck with her!! I groom Willow myself lately and it's quite the work-out!
Lori
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

My Chow is not fond of letting me brush him, but loves the groomer we found...we got lucky. As for biting, when he was a pup (5 mos.) I was so frustrated by the biting. My nephew, who knows NOTHING about Chows, said bite him back. I was desparate one night, and when he nipped my hand, I yelped, and nipped his ear. He looked at me like I was crazy, and bit me again, so I did the same thing. He got it! He realized he was hurting me and that wasn't good. It took a few times, and wouldn't recomment this with a bigger dog, but as he got bigger and forgot, I would pinch his ear with my nail. I'm sure many people will strongly disagree with me, and I admit this won't work for everyone and could be danderous. But now, if his teeth touch my skin, he knows he messed up and backs off. I can just say watch it, like you would with a child, and he knows he's on dangerous ground and settles down.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When your Chow freaked out, she reacted on the next visit, and people left her alone. On her next attempt, she tried reacting again, and again it worked- no grooming. You may have 'screwed the pooch' on her ever getting groomed professionally. Jeff had a good idea about mobile groomers, but not because petstore groomers are inferior. Groomers come with all levels of skills at all places, be it petstores or privately owned salons. You will have to really look around to find one who can deal with a reactive Chow like kingalls did. If money is problematic, as it often is with me, try grooming at home as you have been, but use the money you would have spent at the groomers and buy some good equiptment. Teeth on combs and rakes that swivel will pull less. Keep your groom time short, and look for any any areas that are especially sensitive. My one girl hates her throat brushed, so I don't dwell there, or even brush her there on long sessions. Also, correct her if she snaps. If you let her get away with that behavior as well, she will use it whenever she does not want to do something you ask of her, like crating up or coming in. Shame her, and don't give in. If you keep your times short, it is not unreasonable to have her not nip you.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Buddha4me wrote:I was desparate one night, and when he nipped my hand, I yelped, and nipped his ear. He looked at me like I was crazy, and bit me again, so I did the same thing. He got it!
You just crack me up!! :lol:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

I was just reading through this older post and was wondering... does getting a female spayed will this make them less agressive / less nervous ?
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I was just going to ask the same thing ! Is your Chow Chow girl fixed ? If not that could be the very reason she is more aggressive. I am sorry to say but before I decided to adopt Chow Chows I read all I could, bought books and read a lot on this forum and it basically told me the best thing is to groom your Chow yourself, yes this takes time and money and the grooming has to be done regularly, but it is worth the money for the different combs I bought and then the grooming from little on was more like a bonding time and alone together time with each of my Chow Chows, that now they are so used to combing and enjoy getting groomed. I also give them some treats every time after grooming so they both know they have something yummy to look forward to at the end of all the grooming. Chow Chows need a lot of care and love and understanding and gentle leader in their lives. I heard all the stories how Chow Chows can be vicious and I truly believe there must be reasons if they are, because from my experience my two are most loving and outgoing Chow Chows ever, they harm no one not even at the Vet Office when everyone wants to pet them, I have not had any problems.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

Wow! I haven't been on here in ages, but just thought I'd let all of you know that I found a WONDERFUL groomer! She told me don't you dare sedate her. She said she could not get a good "feel" for the dog if it is sedated. I told her that "nice" did not work for Cookie and she said "Good, cuz it doesn't work for me either". She is great and Cookie is just fine with her as long as I hand over the leash and disappear. If the groomer tries to approach her when I am there, Cookie gets ornery. It's just like dropping a child off at daycare. Heather (the groomer) doesn't take any crap from Cookie and she does a beautiful job on her. I don't know what I'll do if Heather ever goes somewhere else!!! Cookie still has some agressive tendencies that I did not ever see in my boys but she loves us AND she loves my boyfriend, lol, which just cracks me up. In fact, she loves it when HE brushes her and I think he gets it that the dog isn't going anywhere!!!!

Thanks for all your advice,
Amy
ImageImage