to bad...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

to bad...

Post by KathrynH »

We took Buddha to be groomed the other day. I have been working w/ him myself and have been doing most of it myself instead of taking him every month. Well, he had a small mat that I had been working on, if i had dematting rake, I probably could've gotten it. So, I was pleased to find it the matt gone when we got Buddha...unfortunately, I looked a little closer and she has just been cutting the matts out instead of working them out. :-x :roll: I'm so aggravated, because we pay enough (including a pretty nice tip) because we thought she did a good job w/ him...is it normal for a groomer to just cut out a matt (a small one) ?
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: to bad...

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I would think that groomers would try to comb a mat out. Your groomer was either a) lazy and doesn't want to bother with it or b) Buddha was giving her a hard time so she didn't want to bother with him.

My thoughts...
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

If the mat is too close to the skin, then Mr. N's groomer will shave it out...otherwise she will use a dematting spray and try to brush it out. Sometimes she will take scissors and cut into the matt vertically to break it up & then brush it out.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

kingalls wrote:If the mat is too close to the skin, then Mr. N's groomer will shave it out...otherwise she will use a dematting spray and try to brush it out. Sometimes she will take scissors and cut into the matt vertically to break it up & then brush it out.
That is what I do with both Steel and (chow in training) Roxi.
Roxi goes to the groomer every 2-3 months or so. Steel ... never... he doesn't like or trust them. Had a bad experience once. So, I do it.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

kingalls wrote:If the mat is too close to the skin, then Mr. N's groomer will shave it out...otherwise she will use a dematting spray and try to brush it out. Sometimes she will take scissors and cut into the matt vertically to break it up & then brush it out.
I'm gonna have to try that cutting idea. Hannah has had a horrible mat that is really close to the skin and I have been trying my best to comb it out but she still thinks brushing is a game. It is really close to the skin and I don't want to try to cut it out. I've tried the clippers but that scared her.
ImageImageImage