Let the puppy fur blow........

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Let the puppy fur blow........

Post by Samorrathis »

Well it has finally started warming up enough for Nanuk to start blowing his puppy coat. I knew he was losing fur but had no clue until I started brushing him. He had one hour of nonstop brushing and ended up with a plastic grocery bag full of fur. It was about all he could stand and i'm hoping for another session today. I came up with a great idea and it worked perfect. My husband held Nanuk favorite treat to keep him busy as I got in there with my new undercoat rake. After all was said and done I had to shower and also vacuum the living room :lol: Wow! He looks great now!
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

Please, please come to my home and do the same for Wolfie.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pippy has started her mini blow. She isn't as heavily coated as past years, so it's not a problem. I wish Lily would start. She has such wooly 'hips' it's hard getting all the way down to skin while brushing. One thing I like with Pip being black, is the shedding fur appears lighter in color and I can easily see when I've not done a thorough enough job. With all the shading Lily has, I'll just have to keep brushing until I come up with a clean tool! :|
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Mine are just starting into their real shed mode. I usually take them out on the back deck and up onto a big wooden reel, so I can brush and the excess hair floats away outside instead of all over my house (like my house doesn't already have too much hair! *L*).

With the three chows, I have a nice variety of colors and I've kept some bags of it thinking I may one day have it made into yarn. Kylee's a cinnamon, Dora's a black, and Khana is a shaded red so she has a lot of almost cream-colored undercoat.

Has anyone had yarn made from their chow's fur?

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have a friend that had Cap made from his Huskies fur, I’ve been wanting to do that for along time. there are place’s on the net that you can send the fur to that will either make you a roll of yarn or make what you want. If you read the article these people have been saving the fur for years, I better get started.

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/200 ... 01-03.html
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

The groomer has a waste basket full of Mr. N's fur when she is done..not to mention all the fur on her and me. I have a bucket of fur that I've collected for a while and will be putting that out for the birds to help with their nest building :D

Karen
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Has anyone had yarn made from their chow's fur?"

---

I've spun the undercoat into yarn
:)
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi all,
Well, Spring's a little :roll: late here in N. Calif. so Kodi's still hanging on to quite abit of her fur that would be in piles everywhere by now.

Here's the website of the local-ish (to Karen and I) woman who does the hair yarn, and is a chow person!

http://www.vipfibers.com/

Purple kisses from Kodi
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Not sure about knitting up his fur as yarn for myself, but i do like the idea of leaving some out for the birds to use as nest padding :lol:
Christine & Nanuk
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I've started using an undercoat rake on Koda and it does a much better job on him than the brushes I usually use do. I am really anxious for him to blow his puppy coat so I can see what the adult coat will look like. But I think I have awhile to wait before that happens, right? He's just now 7 months old. His coat is very thick, alot thicker than Ssaha's ever was. But I attribute that to the better diet and the fact that he's a male. I like Melanie's idea of the wooden reel. You mean like one of those huge cable reels? Koda used to be a pain to brush but I was determined to make him learn that he'd better get used to it, now it's a pleasure to groom him. Of course we aren't getting bags of fur out yet either. I know the hours of doing that are yet to come. LOL I did buy a fan for Koda's personal use the other night. It is starting to get pretty warm here and we don't have the air going yet.... so he got his own fan, which he loves. He sits right in front of it. :) Yup Melanie, I know well about the fur in the house. LOL Between Koda, Sam and 2 long haired cats, fur is in abundance around here. :)
Nancy and Tai

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Yup, I tweaked a telltale tuft from under Sophie's ear last night. Though I've noticed that her undercoat doesn't really come out in chunks anymore since I switched over to the Nutro. Which is not to say that I wont be pulling a disassembled cashmere sweater off of her every day, just not in clumps.

And the birds do love it. A little startling to see them with their beaks full of chow fur...sort of like the bird version of "O, Brother, Where Art Thou".
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

WE put out M & M's fur out for the birds, they love it! It is gone within minutes when we put it out.
:D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

I was actually going to stuff a dog pillow or a dog stuffed toy with all of Wolfies fur that I collected one year - there was sooooo much of it. However, it wasn't the cleanest fur, soooooooooo I decided to do the stupidest thing one could possibly do with dog hair -- I put it in a net bag and put that in the washing machine. Yes!!!, I actually tried washing his hair in the washing machine. Too funny. No it didn't work, and No, it probably still isn't dry, and that was probably 5 years ago.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Brushing

Post by Brisco »

From what I read about brushing on this and other post I get the impression that many of you only brush your Chows occasionally. Is this correct, or do mine just not shed as much as some. I brush Brisco 2-3 times a week for about 5- 10 minutes and Dixies coat needs brushed 4-5 times a week for about 10-15 minutes each time. I will get about one handfull of hair from brisco and twice as much from Dixie each time but never a bag full.
How often do you brush??? just interested.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

we brush about 2-3 times a week but when chewie was blowing his puppy coat over the winter, it was literally EVERY single day. AND we had bags of fur, EVERY single day. INSANE! But now that he is growing in his adult coat, he is just losing a small amount during groomings. Cayenne blew her winter coat about a month ago and we worked on her everyday too to the tune of bags of hair. she is still in the process but doesn't have much to go. Now we brush her about twice a week.

Matthew, I wonder if maybe it has something to do with the temperate climate you live in... From the pictures you have sent, I don't think dixie has blown her puppy coat yet either. THEN you'll have bags! How old is Dixie again?
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

We brush Nanuk 1-2 times a week. I wish it could be more but we have too much going on. I used to bring Nanuk to the groomer for his major brushings out, and at home I used a pin brush. Well we all know about the groomer fiasco, so now I'm the official groomer and I bought about 4 diffrent brushes to do the job. I had no clue what a undercoat rake was before :oops: So maybe that's why.

Also the area we live in has extreme temperature change between winter and summer. About 70 degree temperature variance.
Christine & Nanuk
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

brushing

Post by Sharons Chows »

JR and Cheyenne are brushed by Alan at least 2-3 x a week,

JR loves to be brushed, however, he freaks out if you forget to put his collar back on {his security blanket}
Cheyenne is getting better about being brushed. When we got her in December, she wouldn't let us touch her, but now she allows a quick brushing. Her undercoat is much bushier than JR...he is fluffier and softer....and I can pull on it gently and it comes out in clumps. Actually she seems to like the pulling technique. JR allows it sometimes, but really enjoys his brushing/bonding time.

We have all sorts of brushes and combs...depends on their moods!

As far as the fur.....generations of robins in my yard have been building their nests with Chow Chow fur for years now.

Sharon
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Dixie will be 1 year old on April 23rd.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

yep- she should be blowing her puppy coat soon! expect some big bags of fur! She's a fluffy one like my chewie and I was blown away (sorry for the pun) by how much of that beautiful fluffy puppy fur came out! But it's filling in nicely now (6 months later!)
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Thanks for that Mandy, Brisco does have a different coat than her but he never went through that stage. Nothing sticks to Brisco, even grass seeds, honest. Dixie on the other hand is like velcro so if she blows it out I won't mind at all.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

That is definitely the disadvantage of that puppy coat. I had to pick so much stuff out of chewies fluffy butt fur everyday! Now it is MUCH easier. Let us know when the change starts happening! Take care Matthew and crew!

Hugs
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne