My new favorite tool

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

My new favorite tool

Post by KathrynH »

It's not new, not to me anyway...the furminator. I know I've said in the past that I hated it, but I gave it a go again the other day because Buddha's and Annie's coat have been all over my floor. Can't even pet them w/out a handfull of fur. So, I started using it on them and w/ in seconds most of their loose under coats were off! It was AWESOME!!I love that thing and I'm no longer upset about "wasting" $30.00! LOL
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My new favorite tool

Post by WildThings »

I've been thinking of buying one for Fiona. I tried one on Tess's coat a few years ago and hated it. The only thing it did was pull her fur, but Tess has a sort of weird coat. She really doesn't have a top coat...it is all the texture of her undercoat. The Furminator tangled in it making for a miserable grooming session. Fiona's coat however has a very distinctive top coat and undercoat. I think it would do wonders for getting out the undercoat.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Both Annie and Buddha have a very distinctive top coat, and I don't think I'd use it just for a regular grooming session, but I was pulling handfuls of hair out just by petting them and it was driving me nuts (that and all the fur all over the floors)! Buddha and Annie both hated it, but I just put them in the tub (they are afraid to move in it...I know...I'm mean), and make them put up w/ it and then give them treats afterward. Hopefully they'll like it more, I was just amazed at how much undercoat of Buddha's came out after just a few seconds, it was insane!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Love my Furminator :D
Thank you Elodie!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I bought one and don't like it at all :-x the teeth are so close together it pulls the hair out.unless I'm doing something wrong.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

It does pull the hair out, but only the hair that is loose. I only use it when they are blowing their coat. I had just been using a rake, and it never got all the hair out, after I was done I'd still have hair falling out all over the place. I did Buddha and Annie last week w/ the Furminator, and I haven't had fur all over the place like usual. It's been nice! They don't like it though, because the teeth are so close together I think it pulls a little, but they put up with it for a few minutes.
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Rocco loves his. You have to be careful and part the hair and brush in the direction the hair grows, if that makes sense. $30 is cheap! We got the large and it was $70.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Finally bought one...got the little one because I'm cheap. Now wondering why it took me so long to get one. This past weekend I had to decide on a Furminator or a new vaccuum...decided to give the Furminator a shot.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

I found something similar to the furminator at Target. Chloe loves it but then again, anything that provides additional attention & body touch time is ok in her book. :x
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."
INOSH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by INOSH »

I have one and I love it, though it says on the package that you're only supposed to use it every couple of weeks to avoid pulling out too much of the undercoat.
Roothie loves it, she just loves to be groomed, so I'm able to get her done in one session. Roarie HATES to be groomed, so I have to do 20 min. stretch where I do little sections at a time, bribing him with dehydrated chicken treats. Last night he had his ears and his ruff done, before he wouldn't put up with it anymore.
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

Okay, you all have me curious! I have never heard of this tool, and need help grooming my furry guy. We both run out of patience, but we're learning. Where can I get this, or learn more about it?
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I love our furminator. I can't believe how much fur I've even gotten from Charlie. Of course, Gilbert hates all grooming so we have to do a sneak attack on him. It does seem we have less on the floor when I furminate them. Our new old vet recommended it too. We have the small one (didn't know there were two sizes).
courtsey of Sweetpea
CenTexChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CenTexChows »

I have a few questions for you guys that used the Furminator.
-Is it used for bathing only or can I use it anytime?
-Do you use a detangle spray with it?
-Last one, how long does the brush/blade last, need any sharpening?

I saw that PETCO has them on sale $10 off, anysize.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I believe you use it on dry hair not wet hair.
do not use detangling conditioner before you use the Furminator.
the teeth on that are very sharp so if you get one be careful.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I use it one them right before I bathe them. It seems to thin their coat a lot and I haven't figured out if it's because there's actually that much hair that's loose, or if it's actually cutting it...I don't use it often, but I would say to definitely use it only on dry hair, it pulls anyway on dry hair, I imagine it'd be torture on wet hair.
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

i have one and i swear buy it it seems to get a lot more hair out than other methods :D :D :D
TatianaK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TatianaK »

I love firminator! I have only had very short hair dogs before, so a chow is a challenge. I groom Malou before meal, give her a big handful of dog kibble one by one, so she can make herself busy for even a quoter of an hour. And then I make special food for her, so she LOVES being groomed .
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I got one after hearing all the fuss and I don't like it. It doesn't get as much out as my slicker brush which gives me a a few bag fulls during shedding season in one sitting. Most importantly it creates a lot of static and zaps the pups, even after I rub it with dryer sheets.
A thumbs down from me.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Buddha hates it, and I only use it for a few minutes when he's shedding. Actually, when we had Annie we couldn't afford to take them to the groomers as often, so I used it then, now I just plan on taking him to the groomers to get blown out. Hopefully that'll work, the slicker brush didn't do much good for me at all.
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I bathed Haley yesterday and after she dried her undercoat came out in chunks. I usually bathe them 1/2 way through their shedding and then all the rest comes tumbling down. 2 bags of fur collected for Haley this season. \:D/ \:D/