Swimming & Grooming???

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Swimming & Grooming???

Post by vicster605 »

Kearra & Kyra Both have HD and it has been recommended that they swim for exercise as it puts less stress on the joints to strengthen the muscles around their hips etc.
Not a problem,I have a lg built in pool that is salt water instead of clorine.....better for our skin and eyes.....not sure about the Chow Girls
If I make them swim daily or every other day for exercise do I have to BATH them everytime when I do????? What will the salt water do to their coats???What if I just hose them off after and let them dry naturally??? Its very HOT down here......will that work??? Bathing and grooming 2 chows daily or every other day isn't good either??? What would you do???
They are going to never speak to me again......you know that right??? BUT :roll: I'm not thrilled either :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Swimming & Grooming???

Post by Layla »

I hose my guys down very very thoughly after they take a dip in salt water to be honest. Not a bath, but definately a good rinsing off. Millie I will often let dry in the sun but Alf's coat is thick & I worry as it can take 24hours to dry! I normally let them both dry off for a while then use the force dryer on them with a quick brush to make sure they've not got huge tangles..... They hate me for it!

I do spray them with a coat protecting spray daily as well. We don't have any coat issues from it :D
Thank you Elodie!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Easy grooming

Post by Coco Chow »

I would rince them too after their bath in the pool.

By the way, yesterday we gave Coco a shower, and we didn't blow dry her for the first time, it's summer here too, it was too hot. We just rubbed her with a towel, and nothing else. We didn't even combed her fur or anything.
Today she looks pretty... and she smells good! :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

You might want to invest in a decent dog blow dryer if they're going to be doing this water therapy for a while. I know Bear stays wet for a long time if I don't dry him well. With your humidity, the girls risk getting hot spots if they stay damp too long.

BTW, I never heard of a pool with salt water...very interesting!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Layla what kind of coat protecting spray do you use?? Kyra's coat is kinda thin at the moment and Kearra's is thick......so do you think if I let them dry naturally, do you think I can feel if they are completely dry and if not I could dry them the rest of the way??? And how long is too long for them to be damp?? Kyra did dry naturally without a problem last time I bathed her so she may do fine FOR NOW since she is blowin' the sad coat she had from being spayed. (she was loosing her baby coat at the time too) Shes really the one that needs the swim therapy the most. I wish I had a force dryer more and more everyday. Forget the diamonds I want a force dryer for my Birthday LOL!!! I'm sure K & K are gonna hate me as well :cry: But I guess just like in the human world there are things we have to do....don't want to, but we do them anyway because its for our own good. They will just have to get over it, and I don't want to any more than they will :cry:
Fillok- salt water pools have been around a while but are AWSOME!!! I think the way it works is that SODIUM CLORIDE (salt) is converted to clorine with a converter...you simply add a bag a salt every now and then and I swear it stays cristal clear. Really is nice to swim in as the water stays soft. Unlike adding all kinds of chemicals and clorine which makes the water...well full of chemicals that are hard on the skin, eyes, and hair LOL!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I use this (esp as it has sunscreen in it to protect the black boy's fur!) http://www.chrissystems.com/iceonice1.htm

Millie dries in about 3 hours. If you feel they are drying, then no worries about drying them completely IMO. I often leave them a good hour of so before even bothering to start drying them (gives them a break from the whole grooming thing....)

Force dryers are a great investment, Alf's love of getting wet made me get one, but it does great things for their coats come shedding time \:D/
Thank you Elodie!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Let them dry naturally, but if Kearra seems to be taking too long, finish her up with a hair dryer. Lily hates it, but every now and again it takes too long for her to dry.