Hot spots?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

JDMonster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hot spots?

Post by JDMonster »

So I just got back from vacation and I picked up Nikko, my chow, from the boarding place, and he was filfthy! He smelt so bad that I drove him straight to the groomers to have him bathed and trimmed. When I picked him up they said they spotted a few "hot spots" around his maine. Now Im really not fimiliar with this, because nikko is my first chow. To my understanding, this is caused by matted fur, (which I comb him 3-4 times a week) fleas, (which he just got his last treatment 3 weeks ago) So Im confused why this has happened. And to be honest, I cant even get him to let me look at it very close, just long enough that I saw some red area that looked irritated. Im worried because I read this could spread if not treated but I cant even tell how bad it looks. I just know that he is scratching under his chin when he never did before.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hot spots?

Post by fillyok »

You can search on hot spots here and find what a lot of people use to get rid of them. I've seen salt water, listerine and medicated powder mentioned, but I don't know what works best. I've been dealing with a small one on Pings leg for about a week. She's able to lick it so it's taking a while to get better.