Anyone Know??

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Anyone Know??

Post by vicster605 »

OMG the fleas are HORRIBLE this yr. I use K-9 Advantix because it kills and repells mosquitos our State Bird. I know Kyra is due but I can't remember when Kearra got it last.....I know its been about 3 weeks. Somehow I got them off of their schedule together when I was sick. I think I ran out or something like that :roll: I know Kyra is due but can't remember when Kearra got hers last.....I know its been about 3 weeks. Anyone ever give it sooner than 4 wks for the life of me can't see HOW OFTEN on the box it just says that it kills them for up to 4 weeks. Kearra & Kyra are both scratchin' like crazy.
Anyone ever give it sooner than 4 wks.....do you think its safe??? The guy at the feed store said they that EVERYONE is coming in for flea treatments for their home and yard. I saw one on my arm outside and don't know if it got on me inside or outside.......so Kyra just got a bath and the house just got treated and the yard is next but the grass has to be cut first.......GEEEEEZ almost like freakin' work #-o

Thanks Sweetpea!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Anyone Know??

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I'm not sure. I use Sentinel which is Heartworm/Flea Control all in one. If you're sure it's been at least 3 weeks I would *think* that it'd be ok to give it again. We'll see if anyone else agrees.
ImageImageImage
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

It kills the fleas on them within 24 hours I think,so they may still have them on them when they come inside.
I use the same stuff,but I also spray my yard every 4 weeks.
And the house every 2 months or so just in case.I know there's fleas in the parts of the yard I don't spray.
Wonder if I could use Advantix for me (would need a double dose for sure,lol),darn mosquitos are always all over me.
Never see any fleas on Chey though and with that white fur they should show if she had them,especially during her belly rub sessions!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Desi what do you spray your yard with??? A friend of mine said he uses Martin's Horse and Stable (Multiple Use) on his yard and sprays his black lab with it also and they NEVER see any fleas anymore.....they had fleas so bad they would cover their legs when they walked outside by the dogs pen. Was thinking about sprayin' the yard with that next

Thanks Sweetpea!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

I use Sevin.Always spray when we put new straw down(grass doesn't grow worth a damm under the trees,and I like to keep their feet clean so we get straw every couple of weeks).
Always let it dry before I let them out.Looked up the stuff you're talking about,I'll see if they have it at Ace's or at tractorsupply,pretty sure they will.
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

better the fleas than the ticks .. i got Lyme disease . doc says ticks are worsed for 40 years , .

i spread some pytrthrenoid granuals in the yard , took the ticks out it was some stuff i got off internet labled * regestered applicators only* very strong , for the ecologily minded consider a heay treatment of the area with Ditomacious earth , the sharp little edges kill the little buggers .. be sure its not the stuff for pools since it is treated to eleminate the edges , i found it at lowes but there are sources that have diotamicious earth and pyretherums mixes..
i have mixed DE and sevin and blown it around the yard ....
its lots cheaper at lowes.....

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Products/DEarth.htm

http://www.gardeners.com/Diatomaceous+E ... C=XNET8035

http://www.critterchat.net/diearth.htm

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/fleas.htm
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hey Bubba I used pytrthrenoid granules until now the fleas are laughin' at the stuff this yr. Gonna try the Horse & Stable stuff next and see if I get the same results as our friends. I hope so.....
We have ticks here but haven't see any or had any get on my girls......somethin's got the blood suckers multiplin' like crazy this yr.
I bet you were one sick puppy......you must check yourself often now a days lol Look & then scratch :lol: :lol:
If this stuff doesn't work then I'm on to your list....Thanks for the info

Thanks Sweetpea!
Patti33610
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patti33610 »

We had a terrible time with fleas a few months back. Ming's vet switched him from Frontline Plus to Advantix and shortened the dose time to every three weeks. It helped a lot and we stayed on that schedule for about three months. Thank goodness the rain helped with the flea population and we are now back using it every 4 weeks.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thanks Patti.... I appreciate it.
Kyra is pushing the 55#'s so I'm wondering if its just not strong enough and I need to up it to the next level

Thanks Sweetpea!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

whats good about the DE[ diatomiciaus sp?] earth is that it works by a mechanical mode so the little buggers can not breed up a tolerence to it [ maybe !!!] the little sharp as glass diatomes get in the joins of the carapace[exoskeleton] , cut them and they die..